• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 05:13:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 809
Total: 809

All I think about is cars

Started by LizStreithorst, January 20, 2016, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

As we all know oil is the life of a engine. We get TSB at the shop. Benz and BMW have both sent them out. They recommend 10000 miles between oil changes. they are finding out about 80000 miles they start to burn oil. They contribute this to the 10000 mile oil change. It is very important to use the oil that the manufacture recommends in today's cars. I know I'm not a engineer but I can not agree that 8000 to 10000 miles between oil changes is just wrong. You can't change oil to soon but you can to late. My truck recommends 7500 miles between oil changes I change it every 4000. He may have changed his own but most likely he did not. Most young ppl take them to have the oil changed. You don't know if these are hard miles are not on this car. If he neglected to change the oil when recommend what else did he neglect. Just my thoughts.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on January 29, 2016, 07:57:36 PM
As we all know oil is the life of a engine. We get TSB at the shop. Benz and BMW have both sent them out. They recommend 10000 miles between oil changes. they are finding out about 80000 miles they start to burn oil. They contribute this to the 10000 mile oil change. It is very important to use the oil that the manufacture recommends in today's cars. I know I'm not a engineer but I can not agree that 8000 to 10000 miles between oil changes is just wrong. You can't change oil to soon but you can to late. My truck recommends 7500 miles between oil changes I change it every 4000. He may have changed his own but most likely he did not. Most young ppl take them to have the oil changed. You don't know if these are hard miles are not on this car. If he neglected to change the oil when recommend what else did he neglect. Just my thoughts.

..can't argue with that....I get mine changed every 4000/5000 too, even tho it's synthetic and rated for many more miles.....I have the a Vortec engine in the Tahoe( 4 bolt main).....I'll get over 300k if I take care of it.....yup...planning on it.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

I didn't get as much as I wanted for my Dodge Ram because it was hit while parked when it was brand new. $9000 in damage. All the CarFax said was it was in an accident. The guy at the dealer said they would have to explain that to the new owner. I said have the new owner call me. I'll explain in 15 seconds or less that it was hit by a drunk driver when brand new. They replaced the box and the rear end. Then I drove it 90,000 more miles in the next ten years without a problem.

Two lessons learned. If your brand new vehicle is ever damaged:

1) Don't settle for used parts. My insurance man said let them repair it with used parts. If we hit them, they would settle for used parts. That's Bull.

2) After the repairs are made, have them toss you an extra $3000 for the beating you will take when you trade it in.

LizStreithorst

Tell me, gentlemen. Do you think I should have BJ use synthetic oil in Charlotte's new heart?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 30, 2016, 12:35:52 PM
Tell me, gentlemen. Do you think I should have BJ use synthetic oil in Charlotte's new heart?

It's a bit more expensive, but with Charlotte being rebuilt, new gaskets, etal.........I would....others may disagree.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thanks.  I'll do it.  I don't mind spending on Charlotte.

JR

Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I will call BJ Monday morning and tell him I want synthetic oil in her.  Only the best for my beloved Charlotte.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 30, 2016, 03:57:01 PM
I will call BJ Monday morning and tell him I want synthetic oil in her.  Only the best for my beloved Charlotte.

|^|
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on January 30, 2016, 04:14:38 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 30, 2016, 03:57:01 PM

|^|

Very good. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Don't y'all go blabbing to her about the fancy oil.  I want her to feel it going through her parts and I want to tell her about it myself.  She already thinks more highly of herself than she has any right to.

What about her oil pump?  BJ never mentioned replacing it.  Having it go out would be worse than having the water pump go out.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 30, 2016, 08:40:22 PM
Don't y'all go blabbing to her about the fancy oil.  I want her to feel it going through her parts and I want to tell her about it myself.  She already thinks more highly of herself than she has any right to.

What about her oil pump?  BJ never mentioned replacing it.  Having it go out would be worse than having the water pump go out.

Doesn't she read our posts too?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 30, 2016, 08:40:22 PM

That would be a good idea too.....plus the new gaskets will be put in....
Jon

GeorgeG

If I had a rebuilder going through my engine they better put a new oil pump in her. I would not trust them even if it was a short block a new oil pump is a must especilly if I am giving you a waranty on it.