• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 02:08:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,318
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 258
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 262
Total: 262

All I think about is cars

Started by LizStreithorst, January 20, 2016, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Wish I could go with you Liz. Be careful They will give you 2000 for the van. Make sure they dont put the real price they give you on the backside of the loan. They try that in Ohio all the time. Read all the paper work very carefully take your time if your not sure about something make them explain it till you are happy with it.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

LizStreithorst

Thank you, JR.  Your advice is the next best thing to having you with me.  I suck at reading paperwork but I will be careful and ask questions about what is over my head this time.  The dealership itself has excellent reviews which is encouraging.  I will do my best for myself that I am able to.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

This guy Jeff that I've been dealing with...I like his style.  He set up an appointment for me at noon Monday, my day off.  I didn't ask for him an appointment.  That was a tad aggressive but not too bad.  He said that if I would be late to email him and that he would to the same for me.  I emailed him that I wouldn't be there Monday, nor the next...that I would try to take off Wed of next week.  He said that was fine and that he will keep in touch.

I see that he is the internet sales and leasing manager.  He is exceptional at it. He comes off as so easy.  I also know that he is dealer and wants to get the most that he can. 

JR got me relaxing about this a good.  I know how much money I will spend.  As long as the FIAT isn't sold will be mine.

Please pray that my flex plate won't fly to pieces while I'm driving to Metaire.

Charlotte

Quote from: Mugwump on January 27, 2016, 03:20:01 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 27, 2016, 02:26:59 PM
Charlotte's heart just arrived this afternoon.  She will be ready Friday.  I'll have to leave the Beast with BJ to have his brakes fixed so I won't be able to drive him to see that Fiat then.  The following Monday my SIL will be here.  I will have to take a day off work one day next week to see if I can make the deal.

I am a nervous wreck.

...chill out....all is fine  |^|....does your SIL drink beer?.....wine??....or ???..... |^|

She does not.  She has been through more that I have but she has gotten through everything without the help of booze, nicotine, or any other something.  She is very empathetic.  If I don't buy the Fiat before she gets here I will tell her about the car and also put it on my back burner.  She is more important to me than any car.
Keep on Truckin'

JR

Liz Im not saying it can't happen but i have never seen a ford fly wheel crack. A diesel Fly wheel is pretty beefy. I have seen the nuts that hold the torque converter to the fly wheel come lose. It can make the same type of noise. Back in the day we seen Chevy do this but not ford.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

LizStreithorst

This is why I think the most likely cause it the flex plate, but it could be something else.  Noisy TCs seem to be a problem in '99s.  I called the Ford dealer.  He said that the noise was from the TC coming apart.  It that were the case it would have come apart by now.  http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3-motor-problems/30764-loud-noise-idle.html

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 28, 2016, 04:03:43 PM
This is why I think the most likely cause it the flex plate, but it could be something else.  Noisy TCs seem to be a problem in '99s.  I called the Ford dealer.  He said that the noise was from the TC coming apart. It that were the case it would have come apart by now.  http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3-motor-problems/30764-loud-noise-idle.html

...or just loose??....can it be repaired by tightening ?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'll be leaving him with BJ this afternon.  I'll ask him if there is anything that he can see without having to pull the tranny.

LizStreithorst

I imagine y'all read what Charlotte had to say about not having her heart yet.  It was a disappointment to me, and  I know they want to get her out because she's been sitting inside since she arrived taking up work space.

Then I saw a guy who lives next door to Chip sitting in his shop chatting with him.  I went over to say hi.  Chip asked about Charlotte and I told him.  Then I told him about the Abarth.  Neither his friend nor he knew what it was.  His friend didn't even know what a Fiat 500 was until Chip told him that it was like the car that someone they know had for sale. I told Chip that the Abarth made 160 hp from the little 4 banger.  All of a sudden he got hot to work on it.  I said, "the car has 12,000 miles. You will only change the oil."  I pointed at him and said, "what you want to do is drive it." 

I hope I don't miss out on this car.  I never imagined that a Fiat 500 Abarth would be within my grasp.  I'm still hoping to be able to drive down Wed. (in the rain).

LizStreithorst

I'm afraid that I nixed the Abarth.  I had no choice.  I looked at the Carfax and the only time the previous owner had the oil changed was when he had a tire repaired.  The car had 9,200 miles on it at the time.  I PM'd my car guru, JR and he agreed that this was a huge red flag.  I'm back to searching for the car of my dreams once again.

Ron Sower

Is it plausible the owner did his own oil changes. My father and Lucy's both did their own oil changes until they no longer were physically able. If he's like either of them he may have his own record book. If it's a worn record book, smudged and with different colored inks on the entries of the changes he did, it's likely legit! If not, then maybe not legit.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

If you buy a brand new sports car and register it on Carfax the information is documented.  If you know that the records will be documented why do it yourself?  This engine wants fancy $10. a quart oil (I looked it up).  God knows what they poured into it at the place that fixed the tire ::)  You could be right Ron, but I I think that you are wrong.

Mugwump

...only 9K on the car?....the synthetic oils are rated 5K+ between changes.....but....go with your gut... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The car has 12,000 some miles on it.  This was a brand new engine.  It's supposed to get an oil change every 8,000 miles but with a brand new high performance little bitty 4 banger I believe that it is unconscionable to go 9,200 before your first oil change .  I'd have changed it twice at 9,200. 

Yes, this was the car of my dreams.  I also have a good head on my shoulders.  In this instance my head convinced my heart that the Ararth was not a good choice.  As long as my heart and head both agree I'm fine with it.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 29, 2016, 07:39:45 PM
The car has 12,000 some miles on it.  This was a brand new engine.  It's supposed to get an oil change every 8,000 miles but with a brand new high performance little bitty 4 banger I believe that it is unconscionable to go 9,200 before your first oil change .  I'd have changed it twice at 9,200. 

Yes, this was the car of my dreams.  I also have a good head on my shoulders.  In this instance my head convinced my heart that the Ararth was not a good choice.  As long as my heart and head both agree I'm fine with it.

When in doubt....trust your gut  |^|     wonder if Carfax lists any oil change place?...not just dealers...?...

you'll find something tho.... ;D |^| ;D
Jon