• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 12:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 192
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193

The Beast

Started by LizStreithorst, August 04, 2015, 02:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have decided to sell him :'(  The full fuel tank fix will cost to much for me to invest in a huge van that I no longer need.  What I need is Charlotte and a little pixie.

I stopped by Chip's place this afternoon to tell him that The Beast wouldn't be in to see him tomorrow.  The ABS light went off and there's no way to find out the problem unless it's on.  I hope that the next time this happens I don't hit somebody :o  I asked Chip how he knew about the fuel tank problem.  He said that his uncle had a 250 diesel that had "the same damn thing"  And the one sitting outside his shop has "the same damn thing".

Now I need help with a moral problem...I know that I could get more for him if I were to sell him myself to an individual then take my money and go find a pixie.  I don't think that I can to it in good conscience knowing that a potentially dangerous problem lurks and an expensive repair is in the future.  I think that what I need to do is go to a used car lot to find a pixie I like and trade him in.  He will be sent to the used car auction.  Should I buy a new fuel tank and have it replaced, keep my fingers crossed on the brake problem and sell him to an individual?  What would y'all do?

Do used car lots ever let you trade in a more valuable vehicle for a vehicle of lesser value and give you the balance in money?  I've traded in before but have always bought a more valuable one than I was trading so I don't know.

Please advise me.  I sure wish JR were still here.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

I'd fix it and keep it. At least with the vehicle you have you know what is wrong and how it's been taken care of. Buy a used vehicle and you can be in all sorts of things. Or get lucky and never spend a dime on it. I'm sort of in the same situation. My Dakcrapota needs the shift solenoid replaced among other things. I don't have the cash to really do it and I can't afford a new car right now the economy is doing so well. That's pretty much why I've resurrected the 89 Van. Less things wrong with it. I think. It's been sitting a few years. I've replaced the fuel pump and the alternator. A/C will need a charge. And new tires. Well both vehicles need that. I've run her down the road a bit and she seems to be OK otherwise. Now if it would stop raining long enough to get more work done to her.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

My feelings are if you fix it....then you can ask a firm price and get what it's worth....you won't get that on a trade in....plus, you can safely drive it when needed til it sells...or just decide to keep it..........after all it's paid for  ;D.....and you know the vehicle well....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thank you gentlemen.  I'll have him fixed as you suggested.  It will give me more options in the future. 

Chip won't want to do this job and I seriously doubt will have the expertise to do it the least expensive way (see previous link).  I doubt that the shop across the street from him can do it the cheap way either.  Besides, I'm not in love with them...always new managers and new employees.  I have a call in to my real diesel fix it man who is kind of far.  He will call me back when he gets back from a service trip.  I trust him. I will tell him what I know and find out if he can do it the least expensive way.  If not, I will ask him how he would it.  I'm sure that he has seen this problem before.  Heck, Chip doesn't even do diesels and he's seen it twice.

LizStreithorst

My lovely diesel man knew all about this and can fix it the least expensive way.  He says that there's a radiator shop in the next town over who has done this for him several times.  He'll pull the tank and take it to them, check the lines and blow them out if they need it.. and make sure that everything is perfectly clean.  I'm so relieved. 

The carpenter just showed up with a trailer full of lumber for the carport.  He'll get started tomorrow.  He'll use up my stash of cash.  Thank God my diesel man takes credit cards.

Mugwump

Cool...you're finally getting your carport.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Sounds like things are falling into place there Liz. Great for you.  8) 8) 8)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Yes.  Forgive me for feeling so lost and having to ask for advice on, of all things, a fish forum.  Y'all are good friends.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 11, 2015, 06:25:27 PM
Yes.  Forgive me for feeling so lost and having to ask for advice on, of all things, a fish forum.  Y'all are good friends.

*smooch*.......all is well... 8)
Jon

Rjb3

Quote from: Mugwump on August 11, 2015, 06:42:59 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 11, 2015, 06:25:27 PM

*smooch*.......all is well... 8)

That's what friends are for. And ya get a cyber-smooch to boot. It don't get any better that that.

LizStreithorst

It don't get better than that.

GraphicGr8s

Sending you a cyber lasagna and ravioli. SSSSSSSSmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooochhhhh
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Rjb3

Mugwump

Jon

GeorgeG

Since the fuel tank from these years are crap 1999-2010 I would ask your chip friend if he could find out if a newer one would fit in your truck. Then if they do I would hit the junk yards up for the 2011-2015 price and maybe find one there . You know maybe the junk yard has a van with the repaired one in it. Won't hurt to ask and call around.