• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 05:24:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 266
Total: 266

The Beast

Started by LizStreithorst, August 04, 2015, 02:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

The Beast gave me a bit of a scare driving to work this morning.  If I haven't told you, I go into a bit of a panic when one of my vehicles fails.  I know it's silly, but that's the way it is...

Everything was fine and then I went up a hill and lost a lot of power.  He kinda started to tremble.  His engine light never came on but I bet my personal one would have if I had come with one ;)  It was nothing but hills for several miles.  Every time I went up one I feared I wouldn't make it.  I had him floored and The Beast should take off like a shot when he's floored.  He was struggling to make 40 mph.
Once it got flat he seemed to be better.  I drove to Chip who doesn't do diesels but is my buddy.  I thought may be fuel filter but Chip didn't want him and sent me next door where they do some diesel work.  I told the guy what happened and he said it sounded like the fuel filter.  He asked how long since I'd had it changed but since I was still in a bit of a panic I couldn't remember.  He said that he'd change it and have The Beast ready by the time I got off work ;D

Once I calmed down, I realized that it had been 7 1/2 years since I'd had it changed :-[  I tried to buy one at the NAPA place few years ago but they didn't have one in stock and said that they'd get one the next day.  I said that I'd pick one up next time I was in to buy oil.  Then I forgot about it :-[ :-[ :-[

The poor Beast.  He's such a fine old man.  I feel guilty for having neglected him.  But when I picked him up and drove him home I could tell that he felt like a million bucks.  The guy at the shop said that the filter was so bad he suggested that I change it again in a couple of months.  I will. 

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Whew....glad it was something simple.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Donja just love it, LiZ??
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GraphicGr8s

There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

ilroost

Thank god it was a cheap fix

LizStreithorst

It happened again.  this time I was in Hatteiesburg.  Just delivered fish to the LFS and the wholsaler.  Everything was perfect.  I was headed to the slaughter house for kidneys when it started again.  I immediately turned around and headed back home about 30 miles away.  It got worse and worse.  It got so I was driving down the shoulder of the interstate, flashers flashing, at 15 mph.  It would go down to 10 mph going up hill and hit 30 down hill.  Once it quit but I gave it a few minutes and it restarted.  I doubted that I would make it home, but I did.

I got off the interstate at my exit and pulled into a gas station/convenience store.  As soon as I stopped, the beast died.  I stopped where my towing guy could load The Beast if he wouldn't restart.  I went into the store wanting to buy something for bad fuel.  They had nothing so I bought what they did have that might help and wouldn't hurt, "Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner"  I poured it in, got in The Beast, cranked him up, and he was back to running perfectly!

I can't believe that it had to do with the stuff I added to the fuel tank.  It didn't even have time to mix with the fuel.  I called the guy in Ellisville who does some work on diesels but is by no means Gods gift to a diesel engine.  He thinks that it's the filter again because my old one was too gross for words.  I told him today's story.  I offered to have it towed to my real diesel man who is kinda far in the wrong direction but he said that I bring it back for another filter change.  I'm sure the beast will make it even if he limps in a 15 mph. 

Sorry to dump on you guys when I get all stressed. 

I was planning on going on to work after my chores but I had no dogs on the book, and my cell hasn't rung, and I've made a day's pay selling fish, and I need to chill.  I shall self medicate and play in the fish room.  After selling a bunch  I need to consolidate  fish into fewer tanks.

Mugwump

Yes, it almost sounds like you got some bad fuel at one time and it really gummed things up.....hopefully the new filter and injection cleaner will halp get rid of the backed up sludge.....??.....relax....enjoy the day.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I agree with Mugs. Especially about the relax part!!!  :o :o
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I'm starting to feel better.  But let me tell you the worst part of limping home on the interstate...there is a bridge over the leaf river.  It's actually 3 bridges, one for the river itself and 2 for run off in case it floods.  The bridge is good, but not modern.  I'd never noticed before but it has no shoulder to drive on at 15 mph.  I was limping across it, flashers flashing, as close to the side as I could manage and some ass hole comes up behind me at what seemed to me like 100 mph.  I saw him coming up in a silver pick up headed right for me.  He acted like he didn't even see me.  He got so close to hitting The Beast at full speed that I let out a scream!  Then he zipped past at what seemed to be inches from me.  Stupid mean spirited red neck bastard.

OK, I'm over it now.  Headed to the fish room.  Thanks for letting me rant, gentlemen.

BallAquatics

Glad you made it home in one piece Liz.  The highway is a dangerous place.  Too many folks not paying enough attention for the speed they are traveling.

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

In cases like that there are only two answers.

1. Bacon

2. Vodka
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 06, 2015, 01:21:49 PM

1. Bacon

2. Vodka

Beer, pot and fish :P

Mugwump

Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 06, 2015, 01:31:38 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 06, 2015, 01:21:49 PM

1. Bacon

2. Vodka

Beer, pot and fish :P

At least mine were both legal. But alas I really don't care for bacon much. But it seem to be the answer for everything these days.

Vodka works better.