• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 09:42:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,344
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 767
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 748
Total: 748

All I think about is cars

Started by LizStreithorst, January 20, 2016, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

If I drove lots of miles every year, or made lots of very short trips, I'd be tempted to go with synthetic oil, otherwise not it's not very practical or economical.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I neither drive long miles or make many short trips.  I mostly drive 12 miles to work and 12 miles back home. 

I don't know Charlotte's oil capacity but I bet it's not more that 5 quarts.  And synthetic is the best stuff, and I don't mind spending on Charlotte, and I can afford it, and it will make me feel like I'm doing the best I can for her.  I've made up my mind.  I bet you are right but my decision was more emotional than logical, Mr. Spock ;)
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 31, 2016, 01:48:26 AM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 30, 2016, 08:40:22 PM
Don't y'all go blabbing to her about the fancy oil.  I want her to feel it going through her parts and I want to tell her about it myself.  She already thinks more highly of herself than she has any right to.

What about her oil pump?  BJ never mentioned replacing it.  Having it go out would be worse than having the water pump go out.

Doesn't she read our posts too?

Ron, she is too far away to read our posts.  When she's home she get's the gist of what we're saying but that's all.  She doesn't know everything until I get in her and we drive.  Our communication is all non-verbal. 

She knows all about her heart because she and I were both there.  She knows about the new clutch and water pump.  I was beside her when BJ talked about them.  She knows that the reason she is not home now is that one little bushing that is impossible to find did not arrive with her heart.  She looked so lonely and unloved the last time I visited.  She didn't know until BJ showed where the part went and said that he looked everywhere and nobody has that.  She understood but she still looked unhappy when I left without her.

I'll have to tell her that I asked for a new oil pump and synthetic oil for her.  She will be so overjoyed with how much better and stronger she was that she won't get a big head.  She'll be grateful.  Even an old truck wants to be appreciated.

JR

If they did not put a new oil pump in I would not accept that engine. You don't know what else they half assed. You MUST put a new oil pump in a fresh engine. I'm Sure they did any good engine shop does that with out asking.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on January 31, 2016, 06:23:56 PM
If they did not put a new oil pump in I would not accept that engine. You don't know what else they half assed. You MUST put a new oil pump in a fresh engine. I'm Sure they did any good engine shop does that with out asking.

+1.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'll be sure to ask BJ when I call in the morning.  If every good repair shop does that as a matter of course I'll be annoyed If they did not.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 31, 2016, 06:27:45 PM
I'll be sure to ask BJ when I call in the morning.  If every good repair shop does that as a matter of course I'll be annoyed If they did not.

..ask to see the old one.... w!w.....I thought what they got was a rebuilt engine?......not an engine to rebuild....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have faith that they did right.  If not, I'll be pissed.  I'm new at this.  I don't know what gets done without saying.  All I know is that BJ told me about the clutch and water pump.  It wasn't until later that the oil pump came into my mind.

JR

He may not have the oil pump there Jon. Most engine shops put them in. Liz My shop had very high standards. Some say I was over kill. But I gave a 36 month 36000 mile warranty. Never had one come back on me. This is what you got when you had me rebuild your engine.
Heads were pressure checked milled and magnaflux. All new valve seats valve guides valve springs valves and keepers If rockers had a blue tint they were all changed. Blue means heat.
Block was pressure checked Bored and decked also hot tanked. All new pistons and rods new piston rings new Rod and main bearings. If any rod or main bearing caps had a blue tint they were replaced. Blue means heat. New cam and lifters. new push rods.Timing chain and gears. Crank was ground, New oil pump. All new  seals and gaskets. we also replace t-stat water pump and flushed your cooling system. I sent the heads block and crank out to a machine shop I rebuilt all engines in shop after machine shop was done. I did not trust anybody to rebuild one of my engines. IMHO that is how you rebuild a engine the right way. May be over kill but it works for me.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

BallAquatics

+1  Yep, if your not going to do it right, why bother at all?

I would think that they would list what gets done and what doesn't so you can compare to other rebuild shops.  That's how it used to be around here anyway.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I canned BJ this morning.  The engine rebuild company did replace the oil pump.  I told him to use synthetic oil.

They're just waiting for my pilot bearing to arrive.  He said today or tomorrow.  It was supposed to be overnighted.  I imagine that if they were able to find one from a parts place it will be in today.  If they have to make one it will be tomorrow.

I know that he wants Charlotte fixed and out of there asap.  He has another car that needs a new heart that is waiting for a spot inside his shop.  Charlotte is costing him money just sitting there for lack of one small part.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 01, 2016, 12:00:58 PM
I canned BJ this morning.  The engine rebuild company did replace the oil pump.  I told him to use synthetic oil.

They're just waiting for my pilot bearing to arrive.  He said today or tomorrow.  It was supposed to be overnighted.  I imagine that if they were able to find one from a parts place it will be in today.  If they have to make one it will be tomorrow.

I know that he wants Charlotte fixed and out of there asap.  He has another car that needs a new heart that is waiting for a spot inside his shop.  Charlotte is costing him money just sitting there for lack of one small part.

Freudian slip ??......LOL
Jon

LizStreithorst

No, just a typo.  I know that BJ is no JR but he has put up with me and has never made me feel like a PITA.  Anyone who visits her sick car twice a week is a PITA.  He seems to take care of detail.  He knows that I want the best for Charlotte so I expect him to be meticulous.  The nice thing about a one horse town is that word of mouth is everything.  I have a local business.  My reputation is good.  He most certainly doesn't want me talking bad about him if he does a job that I'm not happy with.   

I like Chip.  He is talented and resourceful.  He likes old cars especially GM's.  He's a little difficult though because he's a little lazy, and has more work than he can handle, and doesn't want to hire help, so he can pick and choose what he works on.  He just sends the others across the street to BJ.  His brother, Shiny Man works with him sometimes but nobody else.  He's like me.  He doesn't want to supervise someone else's work.

I think that Shiny man flew the coop again.  Chip has his dog and I have seen neither hide nor hair of Shiny man.  Skip told me that he was a "here today, gone tomorrow" kinda guy.

LizStreithorst

I found this one. I don't like it as much as the black one and the guy with the black one knows who I am and the car I want after just one previous conversation.  The guy with the red one had to look up the fiat I was interested in (they have 2.  Only one is an Abarth).  He asked if he could call me back because he had a customer in front of him.  I understand that but he's not as good as the guy with the black one.

My concern with the red one is the same as is was with the black one.  I read the carfax and the service records are lacking.  It said that previous owner of the red one never had it's oil changed.  The guy with the red one said that oil changes aren't recorded if it's done at a quicky lube or some place like that.

I called the guy with the black one who always focuses on me when I talk to him.  It may have been a line of bull, but when told him about my concern about the oil changes he said that oil changes are often not reported and that he knows the guy personally who traded in the Abarth for something with a softer ride.  He said that the guy takes care of his cars. 

The guy with the red one called me back.  The red one has over twice the miles and is 2 grand more and he only offered me $1000. for The Beast when I told him of the TC noise.  And they are a used car lot.

JR tells me not to risk buying the black one but knowing what I know about carfax, I'm leaning toward it.

Here's the red one.  Not nearly as sexy as the black one.  http://www.carfax.com/vehicles/3C3CFFJH6DT665100-used-2013-fiat-500-abarth--pelham

Mugwump

Jon