• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

June 16, 2024, 05:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,396
  • Total Topics: 18,558
  • Online today: 320
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 300
Total: 301

To open or not to open

Started by JR, June 13, 2014, 06:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

My guys have been after me all week to start opening on Sat. I just don't know if I want to do that. They would like to be open 8 to 2. I think a man should have the weekend off. You can get burned out in this line of work real fast. They would make at least a 100 more a week. I don't think a $100 is worth your Sat. They already work 50 hrs a week. What do you all think.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Staggered shifts for the guys?......a Sat on, a Sat off....and/or with a day off during the week?.....

'every other's' work well...the shop gets covered, and they get a two day weekend every other week.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

I told them that same thing Jon. But they said they all wont to work it. Its not like they don't make good money they do. I told them it would be hard enough for me to work 50 hrs let alone 56. They said they don't need me they have been doing just fine with out me. They sure do know how to hurt a guy.

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on June 13, 2014, 07:20:47 AM
I told them that same thing Jon. But they said they all wont to work it. Its not like they don't make good money they do. I told them it would be hard enough for me to work 50 hrs let alone 56. They said they don't need me they have been doing just fine with out me. They sure do know how to hurt a guy.

You da boss, tell em you'll try the staggered for a while and see how it works...then take that week end off occasionally and see how they do alone.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on June 13, 2014, 07:35:48 AM

You da boss, tell em you'll try the staggered for a while and see how it works...then take that week end off occasionally and see how they do alone.... ;D

JR....Sounds to me like you have some out-of-the-ordinarily good employees working with you. If they are paid a commission, it will continue to have them motivated if you do try the weekends it let's them know you're listening to them and trying to help them reach their financial goals. I'd try it for awhile as a test. What you don't want is for them to start thinking, "Hey, I can do this on my own and can work whenever I want." Next in the line of events is that will they take off on their own and start a competitive shop and you've lost your valuable employees that you spent so much time developing, and possibly some of your customers. 

There's another point here too...Many working people have a hard time getting time during the week to get their cars to the shop. I was always happy to have my auto service folks open on a Saturday when I needed to get it done on a weekend. This could increase your business, it that's what you want.

I know because I was one of those that said that to myself when I started my own packaging supply distributorship. The company I worked for lost it's top producer at that branch when I left. It was relative easy to find someone with the working capital to kick-start the business, and many of my customers went with me.

So as I developed my business, I worked with my good producers to keep them as happy as I could. We grew very fast!

My $.02 worth!

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on June 13, 2014, 12:16:34 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on June 13, 2014, 07:35:48 AM

JR....Sounds to me like you have some out-of-the-ordinarily good employees working with you. If they are paid a commission, it will continue to have them motivated if you do try the weekends it let's them know you're listening to them and trying to help them reach their financial goals. I'd try it for awhile as a test. What you don't want is for them to start thinking, "Hey, I can do this on my own and can work whenever I want." Next in the line of events is that will they take off on their own and start a competitive shop and you've lost your valuable employees that you spent so much time developing, and possibly some of your customers. 

There's another point here too...Many working people have a hard time getting time during the week to get their cars to the shop. I was always happy to have my auto service folks open on a Saturday when I needed to get it done on a weekend. This could increase your business, it that's what you want.

I know because I was one of those that said that to myself when I started my own packaging supply distributorship. The company I worked for lost it's top producer at that branch when I left. It was relative easy to find someone with the working capital to kick-start the business, and many of my customers went with me.

So as I developed my business, I worked with my good producers to keep them as happy as I could. We grew very fast!

My $.02 worth!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but mechanics are paid a handsome hourly rate.....commission doesn't even come into play here.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

You must have a great crew who enjoy their time working together.  I know it's about money, too, but if they weren't enjoying it, the time off would be more important to them.  I say, try it for a month and see how it goes.  The fact that they say they don't need you means that they are well trained and confident in their abilities.  You'll have to stop by at the time of your choice to make sure that there is nothing untoward going on.  It's not wise to trust employees too much.  I know from experience.

I say, go for it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

JR

I am going to start next weekend. With half of a crew. To see how it goes. Jon my men make a hourly rate plus 15% of what they turn out. They do very well.

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on June 13, 2014, 09:51:12 PM
I am going to start next weekend. With half of a crew. To see how it goes. Jon my men make a hourly rate plus 15% of what they turn out. They do very well.

Sounds like a plan..... ;D....and yes, they do well.....looks like your business will be growing.
Jon

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron