• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 28, 2024, 09:53:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,373
  • Total Topics: 18,549
  • Online today: 338
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

Deer Hunting season

Started by LizStreithorst, November 06, 2013, 04:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

This is bad but in other ways good.  My free range dogs will have to be locked up.  I have 2 who are not obedience trained and they head to the woods and look for deer to run in the morning don't not come home until dark.  2 sweet ones will go with them when the mood strikes them.  They will be shot because they are interfering with the hunters.

I locked them in the house yesterday.  It's not all that bad for them.  They have access through a couple of pet doors to a fenced back yard which unfortunately is 400 sq. ft. smaller since I had the fish room built.  The winter, when I can see through the privet hedge and other wild stuff growing will be a good time to enlarge it if I can get up the desire to do the work.  I have the metal fence posts.  All I'll need to buy is a roll of dog fencing 2 big corner posts and  4 8' treated 2X4's to get it done.  I could make them a really big fine yard where they could have a little run.  So far they have not even tried to escape.  They have actually become couch potatoes.

The other thing that is both good and bad is that without doors wide open, my house stinks of old cigar tobacco when I walk in.  I do love my imported cigars, but it's kind of a love hate relationship I have with them.  I've decided to take another shot at quitting, damn it.  I would love for them to no longer have a hold on me, but I hate suffering and it takes suffering.  I still have a few old butts which, trust me, I will get all I can from.  I will wean myself to e-cigs which I bought and then to nicotine patches I still have from the first time I tried to quit.

All this to keep a couple of worthless dogs from being shot by hunters. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

ilroost

Best of luck Liz. That is the one bad habit i have also. But i just can't seem to break it. I have tried the e-cigs and just didn't like them

LizStreithorst

I smoked cigarettes for 25 years.  Quitting them was the hardest thing I have ever done.  I swore that I would never smoke one again and have not.  But I was introduced to imported cigars and stupidly thought that they were innocuous.  They were for several years, but the longer you smoke them, the more you inhale and the more you inhale the more addicted you become.

I've almost licked it twice, but both times I thought that I had the addiction beat and I could smoke one.  That approach does not work.  Smoke one and you will smoke another and another and another until you're right back to where you started.

Ron Sower

The first thing I inhaled as an 11 year old kid was a cigar!  That was the last tobacco product I tried smoking! I thought my lungs were going to wither and die inside me!

The first time I tried chewing tobacco was during a college intramural softball game.  Hell, nobody told me not to swallow that stuff! I went back to the dorm sicker than I don't know what!  Last time for me on that stuff!

I'm such a tobacco wuss!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

BallAquatics

I know where you're coming from Liz.  I smoked for 30+ years and tried to quite many times.  Until you are truly committed to quitting, it's almost impossible to do. My last one was in February of 2005.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Good luck Liz and good for you Dennis.

Liz when we lived out in a wooded dead end road rural area we had to keep our horses inside from pre-dawn til after dusk during deer rifle hunting season. It wasn't uncommon to have horses shot each hunting season.

Ron..I'm a tobacco wuss too.  Grew up in an era where everyone smoked and tried it myself a few times. Now realize I was lucky smoking never worked for me.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

JR

Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

LizStreithorst

The dogs are doing better than I am.  My two "wild" ones are becoming more mellow and trusting of me.

It's only been two days without a cigar for me.  Sometimes I'm fine, sometimes I'm a sufferin'.  When I'm suffering I could eat a horse.  I just made out my grocery list and have enough stuff on it to pig out for a month.  Chicken enchilladas with green sauce will be first.  Then I have the rest of the chicken to play with.  Chicken salad with tarragon and chicken stew with kale from the carcass and the meat left on it.   I'm also buying stuff for Alton Brown's chili recipe and stuff for Cajun Red beans and rice.  Good Lord, I will gain 30 lbs before this craving stops.

ilroost

Red beans and rice, now your talking. YumYum

PaulineMi

Liz...for the dogs....I put the chicken carcass and enough water to cover it in the pressure cooker for about an hour and a half. The bones get soft and are safe to feed. The dogs love the "slop" on their kibble.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Quote from: PaulineMi on November 08, 2013, 04:17:44 PM
Liz...for the dogs....I put the chicken carcass and enough water to cover it in the pressure cooker for about an hour and a half. The bones get soft and are safe to feed. The dogs love the "slop" on their kibble.

A chicken carcass is too valuable for my dogs until I have had my way with it.  All the flavor is in the bones and I make a stew with it.  Not until then do my dogs get the bones. 

Mugwump

Oooooh, someone has the munchies.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson