• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

June 08, 2024, 07:53:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,381
  • Total Topics: 18,554
  • Online today: 310
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 321
Total: 321

Construction Advice, Please?

Started by LizStreithorst, April 23, 2017, 06:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Could a knowledgeable person please help me with my rafters?  This is the worst side of the building.  The ends of every rafter have rotted off.  On a few the rot extends inside the building a few inches.  Of course the rot is worse on the top of the boards.  What I would like to do screw a 3' 2X6 into each rafter and use them to nail my roofing slats to.  If I can do it that way it would save me having to replace entire rafters.  Does that sound reasonable?  Would I have to cut the rotted part over the top plate off?  It would be way easier if I could just ignore the rotted part and screw to the sound part.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Once upon a time this was a nice little building.  It has 3 windows and is wired.

wallace

Are you worried about the structural soundness of the end of the rafters where they rest on the wall plate, or do you just need good wood to nail in the roofing? If the ends look good enough to support the roof, I would 'sister' on some 2x6 (face-to-face) that are long enough to cover the rot, which I think is what you have in mind.

On the other hand if the rafters are too weak and rotten at the ends for the weight it would be better to sister new boards right to the end, including the 'birds mouth' cut-out and make them long enough (almost to the centerline) with lots of nails/screws so that they have good strength.
Dan

Tony44

Me I would just replace all the time you are putting into it I would not want to do it twice also you are going to be on roof putting shingles's on rather be safe than sorry just my opinion.
RIGHT TURN CLYDE

BallAquatics

Quote from: wallace on April 23, 2017, 07:18:57 PM
Are you worried about the structural soundness of the end of the rafters where they rest on the wall plate, or do you just need good wood to nail in the roofing? If the ends look good enough to support the roof, I would 'sister' on some 2x6 (face-to-face) that are long enough to cover the rot, which I think is what you have in mind.

On the other hand if the rafters are too weak and rotten at the ends for the weight it would be better to sister new boards right to the end, including the 'birds mouth' cut-out and make them long enough (almost to the centerline) with lots of nails/screws so that they have good strength.

I would concur.  Those are very simple rafters and it wouldn't take much effort to simply replace the rotted lumber.  My old barn was in similar shape a few years back, and I just rebuilt the bad rafter sections one at a time.  Mine has a gambrel roof so it took about 2 days to rebuild 6 rafters.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I know that Tony's way will be the best way but I have to be practical.  I'm not going to live in this building, it's for chickens, and it only has to last until I'm dead.  I will do as Dan suggested.  (thanks, Dan)  I gave the rafters a closer look today.  It's only outside the building where they're hopeless.  I've been tramping around on top of them removing the plywood.  Except for one they are sound enough for me to feel safe on top of them.

I thought that I'd get a start on it today but in the morning I had the lawyer and then the doctor.  I didn't get started working until almost noon and I'm only good for about 4 hrs.  I patched the hole in the floor and ran into more foundation work that could not be ignored.  I got that done after a lot of thinking and a false start or two.  Then I cleaned up the shingles and rotted ply wood on the floor so I could set up the the ladder inside and all of a sudden it was 3:30 wfwf

Tony44

Do you have to built hen boxes to if so milk crates work good
RIGHT TURN CLYDE

LizStreithorst

It will be a good while before I need nest boxes.  I'd like to build some, but if I don't get around to it I'll use sweater boxes.  I've had this breed before and I've found that milk crates are a little small for them.

Here's some pics of my babies.  They're just shy of the ugly stage.

wallace

Hey Liz if you are using corrugated roof, one sheet of the clearish roofing will let in lots of daylight... but you have windows so its probably got enough light.

They look like they are in the noisy stage. I had a chick this morning that got himself stuck in one of the holes in the feeder. Had a hell of a time getting him backed out of it..lol
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 24, 2017, 04:52:50 PM
It will be a good while before I need nest boxes.  I'd like to build some, but if I don't get around to it I'll use sweater boxes.  I've had this breed before and I've found that milk crates are a little small for them.

Here's some pics of my babies.  They're just shy of the ugly stage.

...cute little things.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on April 24, 2017, 05:59:55 PM
Hey Liz if you are using corrugated roof, one sheet of the clearish roofing will let in lots of daylight... but you have windows so its probably got enough light.

They look like they are in the noisy stage. I had a chick this morning that got himself stuck in one of the holes in the feeder. Had a hell of a time getting him backed out of it..lol

Head stuck the feeder ::)  I've never had that! Mine chirp at night but it's not loud, it's nice...

I think that my windows will do.  Have I mentioned that there are 3 of them?  Also, the building is wired.  I don't do electricity, but I bet that I could make there be light with a bit of guidance.  That's down a ways on my listt at the moment.