• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

June 05, 2024, 03:41:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,381
  • Total Topics: 18,554
  • Online today: 241
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Now this is a robot

Started by Mugwump, February 28, 2017, 06:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Google-owned robotics firm and ?nightmare? factory Boston Dynamics has released video of its latest creation: a two-wheeled, four-legged hybrid robot named Handle.

The robot can stand on four legs, like Boston Dynamics? previous creations such as BigDog and Spot. But at the end of its back two legs are two stabilised wheels, which let it stand up vertically and roll around at speeds of up to nine miles per hour. Think ?Terminator riding on a hoverboard? and you?ll have a pretty good idea of the impression Handle gives off.

Boston Dynamics says the reason for the hybrid design is the simplicity it affords: rather than needing the complex joints of the fully-quadrupedal bots, Handle?s wheels can speed it around with little difficulty, while its front legs can be used for balance and for carrying loads of up to 50kg.

?Handle uses many of the same dynamics, balance and mobile manipulation principles found in the quadruped and biped robots we build,? Boston Dynamics said, ?but with only about 10 actuated joints, it is significantly less complex. Wheels are efficient on flat surfaces while legs can go almost anywhere: by combining wheels and legs, Handle can have the best of both worlds.? The video does not, however, show Handle walking rather that scooting around on its wheels.

The footage of Handle had previously leaked at a presentation from Boston Dynamics founder Marc Raibert to investors, when even Raibert described it as a ?nightmare-inducing robot?.

Google?s parent company Alphabet is reportedly looking to offload Boston Dynamics, following tensions within the company about its subsidiary?s fit within the wider corporate culture. After a previous robotics video was posted to YouTube, Google communications staff sought to distance the company from the hardware, according to emails leaked to Bloomberg News, citing the feeling that such technology could be ?terrifying?.

source:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/28/boston-dynamics-handle-nightmare-inducing-hybrid-robot-google

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

To me it looks like he's always going backwards. Take some getting used to.
Dan

wsantia1

Quote from: wallace on February 28, 2017, 08:26:00 PM
To me it looks like he's always going backwards. Take some getting used to.

I was thinking the same thing. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

..it sure works, tho.... |^|.....those jumps !!...Wow  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Yep very impressive!!!  If you run a factory where jumping up on the work benches some how increases productivity I'll bet your ecstatic after watching the video. LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 01, 2017, 08:14:08 AM
Yep very impressive!!!  If you run a factory where jumping up on the work benches some how increases productivity I'll bet your ecstatic after watching the video. LOL

Dennis

I'm sure there are other applications tho too.......picking stock from the high shelves... |^|
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 01, 2017, 08:30:40 AM
I'm sure there are other applications tho too.......picking stock from the high shelves... |^|

It would be interesting to see their grant request to see just what their end goals for the project were.

That said, it would be very entertaining when at Home Depot and you needed something from the top of those massive shelves they have.....  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

..hang'n the Christmas decorations from the town street lights.... |^|
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 01, 2017, 09:42:58 AM
..hang'n the Christmas decorations from the town street lights.... |^|

Most excellent!

I'm out of my depth.....  I'm generally called upon to find solutions for problems, not problems for a solution.   :P

Dennis

wallace

What I found fascinating to watch is that it is anticipating its forward acceleration and leaning into its next move. The physics programming is impressive.
Dan