• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:21:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 188
Total: 188

Some Chickens

Started by wallace, December 16, 2016, 07:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on December 18, 2016, 10:48:16 PM
Very good. Sometimes our chick shipments come with the birds in poor shape. When you have them in the house its best to wash hands because they carry hex. I haven't been able to determine if the same species of Spironucleus infects both fish and birds, but I did have some problems with the Rams and some cardinals while the chicks were in the house.

I had no idea about the Spiro.  I was planning on keeping the chicks in the fish room when I first get them because it's so nice and warm down there.  I'll have to ask McMurray  about it.  They have an excellent rep and have always been forthcoming with information.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

I'm not sure at all. Its one of those things where you make a mental note, to look for a pattern or to look into it more later. Its the same with chickens as with fish, keep the water and coop clean and you keep the hex population down.

Ours have a wood floor with straw that gets cleaned out - not very often.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Good.  I will make a floor for mine and cover it up with a deep litter

I appreciate your help.  I can do this it but I get stuck sometimes and need a bit of advice.

I asked McMurray about the spiro.  They'r taking time off from everything but the chickens for the holidays of course.  They'll respond when they have to get back to having to answer annoying questions from people like me.

LizStreithorst

I've spent days and days looking at pics of people's chicken coops on a chicken forum that I haven't even joined :-[  I found out that if you try to learn something you don't know about when you have a migraine it is too much for your brain and it makes the headache worse wfwf

Some of these peoples coops are so perfect and fancy they turn me off.  Built to match the owner's house.  Not a drop of chicken shit on their pristine fenced yard with perfect grass and flower bed  Not one sigh of a feather nor a stray piece of hay.  Not my style.   Some are decorated in this faux country style that is popular with some.  It turns me off.   Some are old and made from existing stuff they had around.  They are always out in the country with nary a neighbor's house in sight.  I like those a lot.  Mine will be that style.  Function over style is my mantra huh

Now I've found one that is cute, but not in a disgusting way.  I could never build something like that.  The wood is beautiful.  It's very functional for a few hens.  Here's a link.  It's post 612 on pg 62.  I'm curious to know if y'all like it, too. 
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/596294/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here/610

wallace

I like it. You should be able to find plywood with that look or similar. Those look like lawnmower wheels.

I'm the same way... function over form ... contents over container.

?I have always had a sacred veneration for anyone I observed to be a little out of repair in his person, as supposing him either a poet or a philosopher.? -- Jonathan Swift
Dan

wallace

The chickens were out all day going about their business, so they didn't learn how to play the xylophone before it got dark.

Turkeys are curious about everything and checked it out. When the chickens start playing we will make a video.
Dan

LizStreithorst

It's very pretty in there.  It compliments the colors of the big black gobbler.  I'm looking forward to the video.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 04, 2017, 08:11:04 PM
It's very pretty in there.  It compliments the colors of the big black gobbler.  I'm looking forward to the video.

..me too..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson