• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 01:07:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 172
Total: 172

Some Chickens

Started by wallace, December 16, 2016, 07:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

We have about 8 different kinds, including Frizzle, Orpington, and Silkie. The silkies I call 'puff-heads'. They were out roaming someplace so I didn't get a picture of all types.

Can you guess which one is not a chicken?
Dan

wallace

a few more...
Dan

Mugwump

...nice group there.... |^|....peacocks too?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

There are only 2 pea-birds, a cock and a hen. They are still young and when we get some eggs we'll put them in the incubator.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Cool.  I've never seen baby peacocks.  Tell them I'm waiting.

wallace

I will tell them. I could send you some chicks... but birds and dogs, its hard to have both.

Here are some chickens out by the piano shed. We call it that because there has always been a very old piano in there.
Dan

BillT

Perhaps you would enjoy viewing The Natural history of the Chicken (a hilarious documentary):
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-History-Chicken-Janet-Bonney/dp/B0000TPAR4

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on December 17, 2016, 12:12:34 PM
I will tell them. I could send you some chicks... but birds and dogs, its hard to have both.

Here are some chickens out by the piano shed. We call it that because there has always been a very old piano in there.

I see the piano.  It's a beautiful building.  YOur place is very cool.

I've had chickens with dogs before.  But I have three dogs now that I wouldn't trust with birds.  I think I could do it by installing 2 more or 3 more wires under the lowest wire on my electric fence.  I need to give it more thought.

wallace

Quote from: BillT on December 17, 2016, 01:01:29 PM
Perhaps you would enjoy viewing The Natural history of the Chicken (a hilarious documentary):
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-History-Chicken-Janet-Bonney/dp/B0000TPAR4

I think my wife will really like it Bill... will order it.
Dan

wallace

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 17, 2016, 02:11:34 PM
Quote from: wallace on December 17, 2016, 12:12:34 PM

I see the piano.  It's a beautiful building.  YOur place is very cool.

I've had chickens with dogs before.  But I have three dogs now that I wouldn't trust with birds.  I think I could do it by installing 2 more or 3 more wires under the lowest wire on my electric fence.  I need to give it more thought.

For a coop, I have seen lightweight moveable coops with frames made of PVC pipe. You keep moving it over fresh ground.
Dan

LizStreithorst

I can't confine chickens except when they're just chicks. Even if I move the coop to new ground, they're still confined.  I can't confine dogs either.  I'm just that way.  I need more space to breath than most folks, myself huh  An acre of land is enough freedom for a flock of 12.  I have that.  I can clip their wings to keep them from flying.  I just have to make it so the dogs I don't trust can't get to them.

I've been wanting a small flock for years.  It's time I got off my ass and make it so.  Please shame me if I don't have chicks by Spring.

LizStreithorst

I've figured out how to do it.  Plastic mesh 3' fencing attached to the inside of my pasture fence to keep the chickens in and just 1 more electric wire on the outside to keep the dogs out.

wallace

Would the mesh have to touch the electric wire? and thats why you would use plastic?

I think the galvanized 3 ft chicken wire costs about the same and would last much longer. If the electric wire is held out from the posts by the insulator hooky then you could maybe put chicken wire on the opposite side. Not sure what you have.
Dan

wallace

These chickens think they own the place.
Dan