• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:45:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 212
Total: 212

Got a new Air Pump

Started by wallace, December 16, 2016, 02:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

Its a linear piston type from Jehmco. I need something quiet and this should work. That little pump on the right that looks like an airplane engine... well it SOUNDS like an airplane engine so I never used it. Now I can stop using the 6 little buzzer pumps I have. They are Fluvals with 2 outlets each, good little pumps but when you add up the sound and the watts and the power cords...

I'll be getting 3/4" PVC since I don't expect to be running more than 20 outlets. Also ordered 16 of the self-tapping metal valves.

The guy at Jehmco said that the pressure of the entire system is set by, or based on, the depth of the deepest air line or airstone. I hadn't thought about it, but that's right. The airlines in the storage barrels are 3 feet deep, so I will experiment with raising the airstones in the barrels to be shallower and see how that effects the way the whole thing works. The water should still age fast enough with a bit less circulation, having the airstones at say 20" deep instead of 36". He thought it would be fine to have the lines 3 feet deep but that it would reduce to some extent the total number of potential outlets.
Dan

Mugwump

...nice pumps, I have the JEHMCO '80'..............John knows his stuff too.....you'll like it a lot  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

You made the best possible choice.  You will fall in love with that pump. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

I had one and loved it. John at Jehmco was a world of help!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

By the time I bought mine I already knew the exact one I needed. I was questioned by John's wife when I ordered it so she could make sure that I was buying the right one.  I only know that she was questioning in retrospect.  At the time it seemed like a pleasant conversation.

Have you fallen in love with your pump yet, Dan?

wallace

I don't have the piping done. Doing a little here and a little there. There is so much stuff in this room that its hard to reach over to the corners of the ceiling to attach pipes. I'll do some more tomorrow.
Dan

wsantia1

I love Jehmco period. Jeanie & John are the best. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 08, 2017, 06:45:53 AM
I love Jehmco period. Jeanie & John are the best. |^| |^| |^|

+1......yeppers, good folks... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Anybody got an Idea on the lifetime of those pumps?  I use a Supreme AP-100 Diaphram pump.  The Diaphrams last about a year and then need to put in new ones.  I looked at the Jameco pumps but for the same output it looked like they were twice as expensive.  Maybe if they last a lot longer it might be worth it.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

The pump inside is a Medo pump.  I have 4 others that I bought used.  I have never worn one out.  The only problem with the Medo's is that they make a pretty loud hum which is eliminated with Jhemco's insulated box.

wallace

The fishoffice is the only downstairs bedroom, there are 3 bedrooms upstairs. This morning I was standing on a chair attaching air pipes to the ceiling and my wife walks in and says, "You know, when we get too old to go up and down those stairs, we will have to make this into our bedroom..." *! ??? !* I told her to get that idea out of her head right now...lol
Dan

LizStreithorst

Tell her that when you get old and decrepit you will get one of these http://www.bruno.com/store/stairlifts-made-in-usa/

Mugwump

...the 'out laws' had one of those....neat little riders.. |^|
Jon

wallace

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 15, 2017, 02:43:05 PM
Tell her that when you get old and decrepit you will get one of these http://www.bruno.com/store/stairlifts-made-in-usa/

OMG the ads for those will give me nightmares.  :'(
Dan

wallace

I finished the noise box today, here is a pic. There is a thermometer probe taped to the air pipe right where it comes out of the pump so I can see how the temp is doing with the lid on... and maybe a pile of blankets too, lol.

I won't really know until tomorrow if it works.
Dan