• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 03:06:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 323
Total: 323

a question about amazon swords

Started by LizStreithorst, March 27, 2013, 03:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have three of these having babies.  You know how the shoot likes head right out of the water?  Is it better to keep it submerged or do you let it do as it chooses?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I've always just let them go about their business. When I'm ready to pinch them off, I push them gently under water for a short time first...easier to pinch em wet,,,for me anyway...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thanks, Jon.

Are these things seasonal breeders or did I just get lucky with three of them giving birth at the same time? 

Mugwump

I don't really think they're seasonal ...but I could be wrong....I've had multiple plants go at the same time, with a few others budding weeks afterwards....ours died down when we moved the 'mother' plants....we should have known better....LOL.....but they're starting to come back now....barely tho....pretty soon they should take off again....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Another question, if you don't mind.  It's about lighting.  I make my own Frankenstein lights.  They are crude, but they are cheap, and I am happy with them.  I use Compact 13 watt screw in bulbs that the box says give the same light as a 60 watt normal bulb.  They are 5000 K and give off 830 lumens.  I use a very cool light because it makes the fish look better.

My horticulturist friend says that the plants will do better if I put in one cool light and one warm light.  He said that it would be better for the Discus, too.  He's wrong about the Discus.  They don't care.  They'd do just as well in ambient  light.  Is he right about the plants?

Mugwump

Actually, if what you're using is getting good results.....why change....your swords sound like they're doing beautifully..... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

You're right.  Nothing speaks more strongly than good results.

Barb

Hi Liz, my swords are putting out babies too, maybe they are seasonal?  I find that mine do well under any kind of light.  But I agree, discus look better under cool so that is what most of my swords are under now.   But the Endler tank has warm lights and they grow great there too.  I keep my baby swords under water. 
Barb