• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 01:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 236
Total: 236

More fish room work

Started by LizStreithorst, October 19, 2016, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

It will increase the friction loss, but how much is hard to say. If you are already close to the maximum number of sponges with your pump, then maybe its not worth risking it by dropping the extra distance... but if you had air to spare it would be nice to have them all above. The new looped route will increase your overall performance, which is a gain... you also have the larger 1" piping working in your favor... would these gains be equal to the loss from the longer drops, and even out?? That's a tough question, and I'm afraid only trying it would give a good answer.

The air lines to the lower tanks, I'm guessing, would be a little more than half the total? And what is the distance from the upper pipe to the lower? This distance would be the additional length of each small air line. Guessing about 4 feet times +/- 25 drops?

The head loss parts of this can be calculated, but I don't know how to calculate the effect of reduced back pressure from having the loop in the system versus no-loop.
Dan

LizStreithorst

I'm not smart enough to figure it out.  I'll try it the easy way first.  If I'm not satisfied I can hook back up to the existing system and break my bad. 

Thanks, Dan.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

I'm taking a break.  I tackled the corner that I couldn't get into first since it was the hardest part.  I wish I could tell one of the dogs to "stand here and hold the end of this pipe".

LizStreithorst

I'm slightly over 1/4 of the way around the room.  I'm taking at a slow pace because my existing system is working fine.  It's funny how much I despise starting a project considering the fact that once I start I have fun doing it huh

Mugwump

.....nice to see that you're making progress on the job.....I like to tackle the hardest part too, when possible.....once that's out of the way things get more enjoyable and move along well... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I found that kitchen twine would work as well as a dog or human who would stand there and hold the pipe.  I reminded I could crawl into a small space like a little monkey.  By back isn't breaking.  This is fun!

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 31, 2016, 05:27:09 PM
I found that kitchen twine would work as well as a dog or human who would stand there and hold the pipe.  I reminded I could crawl into a small space like a little monkey.  By back isn't breaking.  This is fun!

cool beans      |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

...Save time to watch "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".... 8).....Halloween is a good night for it...it's playing locally tonight at a small artsy theater near campus....the do the whole gambit too.....costumes and audience participation......a sight to see... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Good idea.  It's time. The music has been in my head for days.  I can't get enough of hearing this either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc

Mugwump

LOL..."who ya gonna call?"   
Jon

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

Bad day with the microscope.  It's no biggie.  I had a good day in the fish room.  I only work on my fish room projects on my days off because the thinking part is hard for me since I don't do this stuff every day.  All I have to do tomorrow is glue in two more pieces of PVC, remove the air valves from the old system and screw them into plumbing, and hook up to the air pump.  Everything should work perfectly.  If it doesn't all I have to do is unscrew the valves from the new PVC and screw them back into the old system which I have left in place.  Everything should work just fine.  Still, I'm a little stressed over leaving my fish without air for an hour or two.  I shouldn't be but I am

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 06, 2016, 06:18:36 PM
Bad day with the microscope.  It's no biggie.  I had a good day in the fish room.  I only work on my fish room projects on my days off because the thinking part is hard for me since I don't do this stuff every day.  All I have to do tomorrow is glue in two more pieces of PVC, remove the air valves from the old system and screw them into plumbing, and hook up to the air pump.  Everything should work perfectly.  If it doesn't all I have to do is unscrew the valves from the new PVC and screw them back into the old system which I have left in place.  Everything should work just fine.  Still, I'm a little stressed over leaving my fish without air for an hour or two.  I shouldn't be but I am

They do fine in shipping bags for days.....a couple hours is nothing......
Jon

wallace

I see, you only have one set of valves. I hope it works.
Dan