• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 06:15:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

My New Betta

Started by LizStreithorst, October 08, 2016, 03:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I didn't expect to see a nice one from those few small bowls of Bettas left at the LFS, but I did.  He has a blue silver body and blood red fins.  I plopped him into a 100 gallon with Discus and Dots.  For the first several days he hid out.  He had never experienced a tank so big with other strange fish.  He has come into himself.  He travels the who length of the tank in a leisurely, self assured way.  I was watching the tank this afternoon and saw him intimidate a couple of dots.  The fish has guts.  I think I'll name him Tough Guy.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 08, 2016, 03:42:00 PM
I didn't expect to see a nice one from those few small bowls of Bettas left at the LFS, but I did.  He has a blue silver body and blood red fins.  I plopped him into a 100 gallon with Discus and Dots.  For the first several days he hid out.  He had never experienced a tank so big with other strange fish.  He has come into himself.  He travels the who length of the tank in a leisurely, self assured way.  I was watching the tank this afternoon and saw him intimidate a couple of dots.  The fish has guts.  I think I'll name him Tough Guy.

..bettas are neat little critters.... |^|....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

...is TG still holding his own in that big tank?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Oh yeah! He's growing and getting even prettier.  Today during WC his silver blue body looked silver purple.  It was the way the light was but it was still cool.

I moved the Discus to breeding tanks and moved my 40 some adult Dots into the 100 with Tough Guy.  He picks on the Dots just a bit but not enough for them to pay attention to him.  All the fish in that tank are having a blast.  The big Dots tend to swim in a school.  When one goes up for a gulp of air they all go for a gulp.  They are all of one mind.  They like swimming in the bottom 2/3rds of the tank.  Tough guy swims in his leisurely king like way from one end of the tank to the other.  He likes swimming in the middle third of the tank.

I remember a long time ago on another forum some kid got totally disgusted with me for putting a Beta in a tank with Dots. He maintained that you can't keep them together because they're both Anabatoids huh  There was no convincing him otherwise.  He read it on the internet so it was true ;D ;D ;D
Always move forward. Never look back.