• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:56:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 368
Total: 368

What do you think?

Started by LizStreithorst, September 28, 2016, 03:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

perhaps by sticking a needle in the scales to create an injury (?)  I don't know really.  I've become leary of good looking Discus here lately.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 07, 2016, 07:12:11 PM
perhaps by sticking a needle in the scales to create an injury (?)  I don't know really.  I've become leary of good looking Discus here lately.

I can understand.......but then it could be a blessing too....who knows?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It's funny with me and Discus.  I started out likening the flashy stuff like the swirl fish.  As my taste has gotten more refined I find myself headed to wilds.  They have a subtle beauty that takes a long time to appreciate.  They aren't perfect and they aren't flashy.  Breeding them is quite the challenge.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

To mess up the lateral line in that manner by a physical intervention (needle), it would have to happen when they are embryos, before they hatch and before the eyes get pigment.

If it were a mutation, it would probably be at the same time, but of course would happen by itself.

BillT

I would guess it could have been from something like a non-lethal bacterial or fungal infection that messed up the embryo, in the egg shell, before it hatched. After overcoming the infection, that part of the body developed in a weird manner because there was a lot of messed up tissue there.
Wounding can mess up the orientation (top/bottom, front/back) of tissues (like the developing scales and lateral line).

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 07, 2016, 07:46:26 PM
...  As my taste has gotten more refined I find myself headed to wilds.  They have a subtle beauty that takes a long time to appreciate....

+1  I find something lacking in man-made fish variations, (discus or otherwise)...  There's much to be said for natures own beauty.

Dennis