• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 07:40:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

Sta Isabel X Rio Negro fry

Started by Mugwump, September 15, 2016, 11:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: phorty on September 22, 2016, 09:00:12 AM
I thought the stripes showing was indicative of stress.  At least that is the case with discus.  Is the opposite true for Angels?

Never had any spawns from these guys.  I actually prefer it that was as I want peace in the tank.  In the past I have had angels and discus spawning regularly, actually surprised these guys haven't.

Yes, they will get even darker during the spawning activity....but also lighten when disturbed, or frightened.....when comfortable they should display just nice natural striping ...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

A beautiful tank. I would need CO2 to get my plants looking that good. Some say that angels are such aggressive eaters that they shouldn't be kept with discus... something I doubt. Have you had any trouble feeding the discus?
Dan

phorty

No real trouble with the discus eating.  I feel they need to aggressive eating angels in there for them to keep their zeal!  Sometimes you have a shy discus that doesn't want to take part but the angels never mess with them.

Jon, I actually also got a few of these guys' gold siblings.  I gave them to someone but wish I had kept them.  Have you grown any out?  I'm curious how they turn out?

Mugwump

Quote from: phorty on September 22, 2016, 05:41:08 PM
No real trouble with the discus eating.  I feel they need to aggressive eating angels in there for them to keep their zeal!  Sometimes you have a shy discus that doesn't want to take part but the angels never mess with them.

Jon, I actually also got a few of these guys' gold siblings.  I gave them to someone but wish I had kept them.  Have you grown any out?  I'm curious how they turn out?

There were very few per spawn....only one of Neils original pairing had a gold gene....he had crossed a blue silver with a gold to the Rio Negro...

I kept a couple from each spawn, they did grow out nice and round, a couple got huge....I don't recall you getting any of them from me tho....?....golds wouldn't show any barring....and I had none in that tank yours came from...?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

phorty

You had them all in a separate tank, I thought you said they were siblings??

I kept them a few months, here are some pics of them from back then:

Mugwump

Yes I did....I remember now..... |^|.....someone bought most all of them for their home tank....and a bunch of those got huge like the others....
Jon

Mugwump

I should get some pics of the other grow out tank.....really growing in there, I'll split em up here very soon too...
Jon