• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 06:17:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Breeding update

Started by LizStreithorst, September 10, 2016, 02:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

No joy so far with the Discus.  The RSG X Blue Scorpion pair ate their eggs over a period of a few days and are getting read for a second try.  Big Boy spawned with a wife who had been there, done that but it was his first time and despite his huge size he did not fertilize.  He's still young and stupid.  He did dry runs with her.  He fanned and protected once she laid, he just never got it down and so he could do his job.  This female goes 12 to 14 days between spawning which is kind of a long time for a Discus.  I hope Big Boy gets his hormones and mind working in concert next time.  I have a PB pair that will spawn again soon for the 3rd time.  The male (an old Granddaddy) does his job the the eggs come out of the female and immediately turn white.  They get one last try before I take them to the Happy Hunting ground.  No action yet of the sex change pair.  They talk about it in fishy language all the time, but no action.

Good news with the Angels.  I separated a pair of WiFi Blue marbles when I saw them driving all the other fish away from the breeding cone.  I dumped them into a breeding tank with RO mix and a cone and they spawned within hours.  I see eye spots in those eggs today.  There are a ton of them.  A HB pair spawned.  They're egg eaters.  I hate having to do this but since I don't want to loose this strain I pulled the spawn and put them in a 10 gallon that I set up for that purpose yesterday.  My killer HB X Blue Silver sib pair spawned again.  They are vicious parents.  They have millions of kids and the male jumps out of the water to bite me when I feed them.  Unfortunately, no of their kids ever turn :(
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

.....good luck.....they should get it right sometime..... huh..

..has that female popping white eggs had viable fry before??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.