• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 03:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,318
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 258
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 270
Total: 270

Lawn mowers

Started by LizStreithorst, August 17, 2016, 03:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I heard way back that old window glass is wavy because glass is a hard liquid and over time it flowed downward.  That didn't seem quite right to me but I don't know.  I think that it's wavy because they couldn't make it imperfection free like they can these days.  Do you know?  We have lots of old house in Ellisville.  It sticks out like a sore thumb where they have had to replace old glass with new.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

Here is what I think it is:

While some people believe this waviness is simply a result of the age of the glass, it actually has to do with the techniques used to make glass at the time.

According to Old House Journal, the two most popular styles of glass during the 19th century were crown glass and cylinder glass. These styles were created using a glass blowing process, which largely contributed to the rippled and slumped appearance of windows in old homes.

The techniques essentially made it impossible to create a smooth, uniform look. The creation process also involved heating the glass and spinning it several times, which equally contributed to the wavy appearance.

I'm always hunting for old glass, its hard to find in the right size and I've tried to cut it without ruining it and can't. The boys shot a couple panes and threw balls through some too. I have flat glass in some still that need replacing.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 22, 2016, 07:25:36 PM
I heard way back that old window glass is wavy because glass is a hard liquid and over time it flowed downward.  That didn't seem quite right to me but I don't know.  I think that it's wavy because they couldn't make it imperfection free like they can these days.  Do you know?  We have lots of old house in Ellisville.  It sticks out like a sore thumb where they have had to replace old glass with new.

...some of the older panes are leaded glass too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I know all about the evils and benefits of lead.  The stuff is great in gasoline, it'd great in paint, it's good for making pipes since it's so bendable.  None of those benefits outweigh it's draw backs in those produces.  Glass is a different matter.  Lead does wonders for glass.  I bet you won't find Waterford making unleaded crystal.  I'd drink a glass of wine out of a leaded crystal wine glass in a heart beat.

wallace

When gas was full of lead my Dad would pour it on the charcoal briquettes, then stand back and throw a match at it..WHOOSH. Some of that lead probably made it into the hamburgers and that explains all my shortcomings.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Lucky you.  I continue to look for things to explain all my shortcomings.  Try as I do, I can't find enough excuses huh