• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 06:16:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 226
Total: 226

Restoring an Old Tank

Started by wallace, August 18, 2016, 08:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

My grandfather made several aquariums in the 50's, and he gave me a 90 gallon around 1972 after he had a stroke and wasn't able to keep fish anymore. I still have the tank and I want to fix it up so it holds water again. This is going to take a while because I don't have much extra time, but I thought making a thread would be nice.

After smearing a ton of silicone around the bottom, the tank had fish in it for 5 years. It had a sort of home made UG filter that came as a kit that you could customize for the bottom.

Early undergravel filter (see picture)

It hasn't held water in 40 years, but with a little TLC it shouldn't be difficult. Its out in the barn and things were nesting in it, and then we started piling crap on it.

The tank is under there...I will be resurrecting it from the most humble circumstances. (see pic)

He was a sheet metal worker, so the bottom and back are sheet metal that he coated with black stuff. On the back he attached a mesh that holds rocks that he collected, so the whole back wall is rockwork that he cemented in place using mortar.

More to follow...
Dan

Mugwump

...nice project, watching your progress will be interesting.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Use Dow 795 silicone on it. It's not that expensive. I am using it to refurbish my Metalframe tanks.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

wallace

My son wasn't around to help carry it, so I rolled it out on some water pipes.  :P

Its 48" long x 23" front to rear x 19" top to bottom. A good shape.

There is a lot of rust. The first thing I notice is that I need to knock the bottom out and put in a sheet of glass... but with the way the rocks are poking out, I don't think the glass will slide into place unless I remove some of the lower rocks.

The rocks are held by mortar... not sure what the mortar will do with my slightly acidic water (pH 6.4).

My grandmother kept (wild) Discus in it, and had one that she claimed was 10 years old. It liked to hide behind a rock and she told me if I waited long enough and kept still it would come out.
Dan

wsantia1

Quote from: wallace on September 05, 2016, 04:41:18 PM
My son wasn't around to help carry it, so I rolled it out on some water pipes.  :P

Its 48" long x 23" front to rear x 19" top to bottom. A good shape.

There is a lot of rust. The first thing I notice is that I need to knock the bottom out and put in a sheet of glass... but with the way the rocks are poking out, I don't think the glass will slide into place unless I remove some of the lower rocks.

The rocks are held by mortar... not sure what the mortar will do with my slightly acidic water (pH 6.4).

My grandmother kept (wild) Discus in it, and had one that she claimed was 10 years old. It liked to hide behind a rock and she told me if I waited long enough and kept still it would come out.

Nice project. Best wishes on the restoration. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

...nice project  |^|...I'm sure the rock the rock can cause any harm as she keep wild discus in the tank ok... huh

keep us posted on your progress....I find these projects interesting and informative...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It's a really nice.  The dimensions are great for a grow out tank but it'll be a big job..
Always move forward. Never look back.