• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 11:07:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 247
Total: 248

Replacement for Magnum 250

Started by wsantia1, August 16, 2016, 08:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

There is no way this is going to work unless I order a dozen of the little foam gaskets that go on the bottom. I haven't used the filter yet and I lost track of the thing 5 times.... now its gone.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on August 23, 2016, 06:26:13 PM
There is no way this is going to work unless I order a dozen of the little foam gaskets that go on the bottom. I haven't used the filter yet and I lost track of the thing 5 times.... now its gone.

..little foam gaskets ?.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

I took a picture of it. Wow, I'm not usually that much of a klutz, but every time I lift a cartridge out it is stuck to the bottom and falls off somewhere.  huh

I can always cut a replacement out of something if I lose it for good.
Dan

Mugwump

...you can order a bag of 'em too(Big Al's)....LOL...Lowes/Menards, etc carry em....same as used in the water filters in the blue tubes...match it up
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

...anyone else notice that these units cause the filters to load up quicker than the old units.... huh 

Jon

wallace

You've reminded me that I need to order some diatom powder. What procedure do you use to charge it with diatom?

I only used it the one time. There is nothing going on in my tanks right now, the male rams are all deadbeats, the angels are just sitting there. I'm waiting for wilds season for discus.
Dan

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on September 21, 2016, 08:46:01 AM
...anyone else notice that these units cause the filters to load up quicker than the old units.... huh

I did not notice the filter loading more up quickly but I did notice that the filter media is harder to clean. It takes me 2 cleanings with bleach to get it as clean as the media in my mag 250s. Could it be it's catching more dirt? The dirt appears more embedded in the media.

Even though changing the filter media is much easier on this filter, I prefer the old Mags when it comes to swapping filters between my tanks.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on September 21, 2016, 12:03:14 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 21, 2016, 08:46:01 AM

I did not notice the filter loading more up quickly but I did notice that the filter media is harder to clean. It takes me 2 cleanings with bleach to get it as clean as the media in my mag 250s. Could it be it's catching more dirt? The dirt appears more embedded in the media.

Even though changing the filter media is much easier on this filter, I prefer the old Mags when it comes to swapping filters between my tanks.

They do allow dirt to embed much deeper in the cartridge...I'm having to clean em twice too...agree the older ones are easier to move....LOL...those dang little suction cups are a bitch to just pop off....
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on September 21, 2016, 09:44:55 AM
You've reminded me that I need to order some diatom powder. What procedure do you use to charge it with diatom?

I haven't tried the Diatom powder yet.....good question...
Jon

wsantia1

I'm going to set this up as a regular bottom filter for a while. It is a PITA to use it like I use my regular Hot Mags and the cartridges clog way too quickly and deeply for my liking. I moved it to a juvie growout tank as a bottom filter to see how effective it can be in there. huh
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on October 09, 2016, 12:38:17 PM
I'm going to set this up as a regular bottom filter for a while. It is a PITA to use it like I use my regular Hot Mags and the cartridges clog way too quickly and deeply for my liking. I moved it to a juvie growout tank as a bottom filter to see how effective it can be in there. huh

good idea.... |^|...I may try that too... 2c2
Jon

LizStreithorst

I think that I will like them when I get them.  I don't move mine from tank to tank much at all.  If the cartridge gets plugged up more quickly.  It will mean that they are doing a better job of removing particles. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

I set it up as a regular in tank filter. I put some Purigen in the tube and I'll check it in a couple of weeks unless the flow stops or slows down considerably.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on October 09, 2016, 04:56:04 PM
I set it up as a regular in tank filter. I put some Purigen in the tube and I'll check it in a couple of weeks unless the flow stops or slows down considerably.

I wonder if it'll pack the powder by running so efficiently? 
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on October 09, 2016, 05:46:46 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on October 09, 2016, 04:56:04 PM

I wonder if it'll pack the powder by running so efficiently?

If you mean the Purigen, I don't think so since it's not a powder. I also only put the purigen in on chamber of the 2 chamber tube. It's also in a media bag so it is contained. We'll see what happens over the next few days.
Willie