• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 06:06:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 234
Total: 234

Raising fish out of doors

Started by LizStreithorst, August 07, 2016, 04:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I only did it because my stands were fixin' to fall down.  I had to empty 240 gallons of tanks to advert disaster.  I set up a 150 gallon container used for bait shrimp outside the fish room in a mostly shaded area that still gets hot afternoon sun.  I moved Dots overcrowding a 60 wide into it as well as half of a huge spawn of Angels.  I put the other half of the Angels into a 60 wide.

Today I had to move the outside fish inside because I have to catch them easily to take to the wholesaler.  This is the verdict on how outside raising worked for me.  There was no difference between the Angels nor the Dots from the ones raised outside vs the ones raised in the fish room.  But  I saw when I netted all the outside fish in to a 120 I realized that there were a ton of fish in it.  The 120 is packed with fish!

I did less WC on the outside fish, but they did get WC every day.  The outside fish got a tank wipe down just once rather than weekly.  They just had 2 big sponge filters.  I use 3 in my 100's and 120's. 

I don't know why this worked so well, but I think that it has a lot to do with the huge surface area of the outside container.

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...how much deeper are the outside tanks?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Did they still have heaters? Your weather is downright tropical compared to mine... its common here to have 40 or even 50 degree swings from night to day.
Dan

LizStreithorst

ID of outside tank 44 long X 42 wide X 24 deep.  120, 16 X 18 X 20

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on August 07, 2016, 04:18:56 PM
Did they still have heaters? Your weather is downright tropical compared to mine... its common here to have 40 or even 50 degree swings from night to day.

No heaters.  The only heaters I have on are in my inside Discus tanks.

BillT

Were there a lot of insects falling into your outside tanks (extra food)?

Was the aeration equivalent?

Perhaps algae growing on the outside tanks provided additional biofiltration, or a place for small food items to grow.

LizStreithorst

There were some 'skeeters but I don't think they they didn't lay in that container because of the aeration.  I had 2 sponges bubbling away in the outside tank while I keep 3 in my 100's and 120.  There was a lot of soft green algae  growing inside the container.  I don't want you to think that I put the fish out there and forgot about them.  The fish got fed twice daily and got about a 30 gallon WC every day.

BillT

Hey,
Algae can be good!
It would make more sense however if they were livebear5ers which would eat the algae directly.

LizStreithorst

I've tried live bearers before, Bill.  I have yet to find anything that turns me on.  I tried some excellent quality guppies.  They were a snore.  The only live bearers that ring my bell in a big way are fresh water Rays, and given their tank space requirements Rays are out of the question for me.

Mugwump

...anyone try these Xtra large sponges in their larger tanks?....you can even drive them with a small/med power head...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

My largest sponges are 4 X 4" square.

I called the wholesaler back this morning.  I told Tammy that when I moved the fish inside I had way more Dots that I thought and asked her if she could take 100 of the worthless things rather than 50.  She said yes!  I'm sure that I'll have more Angels and Dots left but they'll be back in the area in two more weeks and perhaps they'll take the rest.

Then I called Mr. Sharp.  He'll come by one afternoon this week.  I want the fencing done first.  His guys can do that, and he'll get on building my stands at his house.  Next weekend I'll move all the fish outside in big containers and Monday he'll be ready to put in the new stands.  I'll be able to fit all the remaining fish in 3 150 gallon containers and 2 or 3 50 gallon containers.  I may have to take off Tuesday to finish up the plumbing since I'm a slow worker with stuff I don't do all the time.  The only thing I'm both fast and good at any more is grooming dogs.

LizStreithorst

I expanded my air system by adding more PVC and drilling holes in it  and adding valves for 15 airlines.  I filled the 150 gallon container back up with aged water and moved the 40 Dots and 60 small Angels outside.  Once they get over being freaked out by the move they will be in heaven.  There are gazillion skeeter larvae squiggling around in their new home.

LizStreithorst

I just did my wipe downs (didn't squeeze my sponges, though).  I gave all the inside tanks an almost flopping on the bottom WC.  Then I moved the adult Plats outside with the Dots and assorted small Angels.  (There wasn't a skeeter larvae to be seen)   They will be happy there although I do want to add a 3rd sponge to the container.

I believe that I will be fine moving the 2 100 gallon tanks of Blue Marbles to a 150 gallon container outside.  I'm not sure yet what I will do with the HB's but I'll figure it out.  I won't move the Discus outside until just before the guys work on the stands.  The Discus, 6 or 8 Snots and 4 Dots are in a 120 with very large WC daily.  They should be fine in a 150 gallon container for a day.

One thing I know...When the guys come to tear out the old stands and put in new, I will be ready.

wallace

Liz, if your climate lets you keep fish outside then you have the biggest fish house of anybody. Can you do that in the winter too?
Dan

LizStreithorst

Only during the summer months.  I will take advantage of it when I can.