• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:29:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 323
Total: 323

Altum Cross?

Started by wallace, August 05, 2016, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

Is it common for people to cross domestic angels with wild altums? It would be an interesting challenge, but not sure at all what I would end up with. Better shape, maybe.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on August 05, 2016, 08:56:36 AM
Is it common for people to cross domestic angels with wild altums? It would be an interesting challenge, but not sure at all what I would end up with. Better shape, maybe.

I think most of the Altum crosses are being done with Peruvians....not a true Altum......even the Dantums are more likely Peruvians....the background lineage is questionable....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Found an interesting article which I'm sure you have seen. I would want to try Rio Atabapo altums, more for shape than for color. Snookn has some now.

http://www.dph.nl/article/cat-04/peruvian.shtml
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on August 05, 2016, 09:48:33 AM
Found an interesting article which I'm sure you have seen. I would want to try Rio Atabapo altums, more for shape than for color. Snookn has some now.

http://www.dph.nl/article/cat-04/peruvian.shtml

...follow this along as well.....Ken started it..

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=34151
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

I had read that a while back and thats the shape I like. Its all so mysterious... if the goal is an altum-like shape, why use SI scalare?... or am I getting myself confused -LOL
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on August 05, 2016, 10:18:53 AM
I had read that a while back and thats the shape I like. Its all so mysterious... if the goal is an altum-like shape, why use SI scalare?... or am I getting myself confused -LOL

..the Sta Isabel has been probably one of the closest scalare to the some of the desired 'Altum' characteristics....one gorgeous angel IMHO  |^|
Jon

Mugwump

some that I had....more fry growing out now....

Jon

wsantia1

Jon is right and those fish that he has/had are drop dead gorgeous. It's been "rumored" that Scalare and Altum have spawned but I don't think there is documented evidence of that. If anyone has the "evidence" please ledt us know. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wallace

Willie, maybe I'll have the evidence for you in a few months... Ha! Why not dream big, eh.

Jon, that sponge has been around for a while looks like. I just ordered about 6 of the cubes with 'cubelifters' to try out.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on August 05, 2016, 10:50:46 AM
Willie, maybe I'll have the evidence for you in a few months... Ha! Why not dream big, eh.

Jon, that sponge has been around for a while looks like. I just ordered about 6 of the cubes with 'cubelifters' to try out.

...yes, I have many older sponges that have been around seemly forever, like old friends...it'd be hard to see them go....so I just keep cycling them in when I clean/change them out of the tanks......
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on August 05, 2016, 10:58:11 AM

...yes, I have many older sponges that have been around seemly forever, like old friends...it'd be hard to see them go....so I just keep cycling them in when I clean/change them out of the tanks......

I hope you are successful.  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ghonk

REAL Altums  have to be a lot older before breeding,tank raised maybe  sooner but i'm guessing still would need to be quite a bit older.   

wallace

I'm beginning to understand... these are taxonomically different species, and it has likely never been done before? I assumed that wild crosses were with altums, but this is not the case apparently. I need to do some more reading. The stuff on the forums (TAS & finarama) is way over my head.

Dan

ghonk

Altums are a lot more difficult to breed then scalare,as far as a cross i think the best way would be to use a proven Altum male and a scalare female.
I did read someone did the cross,but the offspring didn't survive,i think they died before free swimming,or soon after.

wallace

Yes, if they are anything like heckles it will be the wild male, so that makes sense. I know that Mike (19ghost79) has had some great success lately with altums.

Dan