• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 04:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 237
Total: 237

Clown loach substitute?

Started by big b, July 30, 2016, 10:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big b

So I got a clown loach by accident a month or two back. He came along for the ride in some plants I bought for my lfs. I never was going to keep him, I just thought to keep him to take care of my snail problem then give him back. He did nothing for the snail problem, I got rid of most of them when I took out all of the gravel of my tank. Anyway, I have grown to like him, but I know that a 55 gallon is not enough for him fully grown. Are there any other loaches that look "similar" to a clown loach?

Rjb3

Keep him. A 55 is fine for him. IMHO

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on July 31, 2016, 08:14:48 AM

I agree, 55 is plenty of room....actually I'd thought that clown loachs do better in groups?....I know when Scott got more their behavior was better, and boy did they eat the snails too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on July 31, 2016, 08:49:54 AM
Quote from: Rjb3 on July 31, 2016, 08:14:48 AM

I agree, 55 is plenty of room....actually I'd thought that clown loachs do better in groups?....I know when Scott got more their behavior was better, and boy did they eat the snails too...

Yes, Clown Loaches do much better in groups. That's why I gave Scott my one CL. He/she was a hell of a snal eater too. I used to move him from tank to tank and he eventually ran out of snails.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

big b

But don't clown loaches grow like a foot long?

wsantia1

Quote from: big b on July 31, 2016, 10:58:19 AM
But don't clown loaches grow like a foot long?
Quote from: big b on July 30, 2016, 10:12:41 PM
So I got a clown loach by accident a month or two back. He came along for the ride in some plants I bought for my lfs. I never was going to keep him, I just thought to keep him to take care of my snail problem then give him back. He did nothing for the snail problem, I got rid of most of them when I took out all of the gravel of my tank. Anyway, I have grown to like him, but I know that a 55 gallon is not enough for him fully grown. Are there any other loaches that look "similar" to a clown loach?

Check out this site. It may point you in the right direction.

http://www.loaches.com/
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

big b

Hey, I've seen a skunk loach at petco.
I just read that big clown loaches sell for a good amount when big. I still have 4 years before I finish high school, they should be able to grow to about 6 inches by then. Why not just get about 2 more clowns and enjoy them while I can and then sell them when I have to take down my tanks for college?

Rjb3

Skunk loaches are fin nippers. They'll take a bite out of any fish fins they can chase down.

big b

It's a good thing I didn't buy him. I almost bought him 11 times. ???

big b

Yeah so, the clown loach is a no go :P. I planted 22 inches of my 55 gallon. It looks nice if I say so my self  ;D. I'm just hoping my rainbow shark or male bristle nose pleco doesnt mess it up.