• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 05:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 279
Total: 279

do I need a egg tumber for male bristle that kicks eggs out of cave

Started by EvanJ, March 17, 2013, 05:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvanJ

I have a male thats is in a tank with 3females and always choses a pvc pipe cave over slate pleco caves and the pvc slides all over the tank and the eggs end up on the tank floor do I need a egg tumbler or will a hang on the side breeder box work to hatch the eggs

b125killer

I had a pleco that would kick out the eggs too. I think it was Aaron that said to put the cave at a angle. I put it at a 45 deg angle and it worked I haven't seen him kick a egg out yet. 
Scott

Frank The Plumber

Tumbler or angle works, might try the box if you have nothing else. They need a lot of flow, he fans them a lot.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

I've never used a tumbler or a breeder box....try a small tank, 2 1/2 is perfect....add an air stone and crank the air up....it'll turn the water over nicely....I used a small stick on the side sponge filter pointed width wise and it made a current across/down and back in a roll....worked, I got most the fry anyway....good air stone turbulence should do the same...put it along the side,clip the line to hold it there...and turn the air up until it starts moving the water pretty good....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels2

Aron out smarted the BN's by having the caves at a 45 degree angle they can't kick them out and they stay in the caves raising their fry

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels2 on March 17, 2013, 08:07:31 PM
Aron out smarted the BN's by having the caves at a 45 degree angle they can't kick them out and they stay in the caves raising their fry

Yep, he can do that now....but...he wants to save the ones already kicked out too.....I've always had my caves on an angle...not a 45 deg, but enough to make them feel comfy...putting the cave near/under a plant helps too...even the sponge, in a pinch....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EvanJ

Got the eggs pulled a few days ago and the eggs look good. I also have about 70 long fins in a breeder box that are swimming away with the yoke sacs. I was going to leave the with dad but I am moving this weekend so I must drain the tank

EvanJ

Hrs after the last post all the eggs hatched in the breeder box.
So now I have 50 from a brown std pair and 70 from a brn long fin and albino longfin.
What do you feed the young once the yolk sac is gone

Mugwump

bbs, microworms(best imho, they live longer in water)....crushed pellets.....'frenzy'... ;D..even a cucumber/zuchinni slice.....
Jon

EvanJ

Thank you jon. I was surprised the breeder box worked. I noticed my brown std fin is in the pvc again..maybe I shouldnt have gave him three females..lol

Mugwump

Quote from: EvanJ on March 21, 2013, 09:11:50 PM
Thank you jon. I was surprised the breeder box worked. I noticed my brown std fin is in the pvc again..maybe I shouldnt have gave him three females..lol

LOL...I keep two females and a male in some groups....mostly one on one tho...the poor guy needs a break now and then.... ;D
Jon