• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 12:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 127
Total: 127

Moving to AZ...

Started by Ron Sower, June 19, 2016, 01:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

It was interesting tonight as people came up to us at the Father's Day dinner at the clubhouse and said they'd heard we'd got a place in AZ. At this point we haven't told them that we're going to sell our home here, make Az our new residence and come back to WA for springtime. That still makes us snowbirds right? Because when they ask if we're moving permanently, we tell them we're going to snowbird it for awhile! That's not a lie...right?

Anyway, as I think through  THE LIST the hardest thing for me to think about dealing with is my aquaria. I have no problem taking the equipment down and moving it, but I hate to give up my fish and plants. I can move the plants easily, but not so with the fish. Plus I may not get the tanks set up right away...mostly because I don't know where we're going to put them at this point.

Willie, did you get rid of all your fish before you moved and just start fresh?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Decisions, decisions.....I don't envy you.....perhaps a big tub can be set up there as temporary housing for the fish and plants ??...at least those fish that might be really hard to replace....toss the plants in there too.. |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Either a tub or 5g buckets. I've saved a bunch of those. I'm just concerned about the 4 day drive. I have a few battery powered air pumps I can work with. The fish aren't rare or anything; it's just that I've now had them for a long time and hate to see them go. My Sterbai and Panda Corys are super special to both of us. Lucy's favorites are the Pandas and mine are the Sterbais. Then I have this 20+/- group of white clouds...long-finned, regular, & Vietnamese that school together wonderfully, and this little group of Ember tetras that cling to each other. There are also the BNs and all their million little snots in the tank! And my highly sexually motivated Peacock Gudgeons and their growouts...

See? Nothing rare! Just wonderful little fish! |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on June 19, 2016, 08:48:21 AM
Either a tub or 5g buckets. I've saved a bunch of those. I'm just concerned about the 4 day drive. I have a few battery powered air pumps I can work with. The fish aren't rare or anything; it's just that I've now had them for a long time and hate to see them go. My Sterbai and Panda Corys are super special to both of us. Lucy's favorites are the Pandas and mine are the Sterbais. Then I have this 20+/- group of white clouds...long-finned, regular, & Vietnamese that school together wonderfully, and this little group of Ember tetras that cling to each other. There are also the BNs and all their million little snots in the tank! And my highly sexually motivated Peacock Gudgeons and their growouts...

See? Nothing rare! Just wonderful little fish! |^|

...says it all.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

When I made my move from Illinois to Delaware in the middle of Winter I took my breeder Angels and about a dozen juveniles along with my BNs and Cories. I squeezed them all into three 5 gallon buckets. I also carried a 29g tank and metal stand in the car. It was a tight fit for sure.

When I got to my temporary housing I emptied the contents of those buckets into the 29 and topped it off with tap water and a shot of prime. It was sure crowded in that tank but with daily water changes I was able to make it work until I got into my apartment and was able to set up more tanks. I lost one angel and one snot through the whole ordeal.

Those fish have produced a couple of thousand offspring in the two years that I have been here. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Okay, That's kinda what I was thinking! Thanks. That's a lot of little fish too!

Quote from: wsantia1 on June 19, 2016, 09:52:39 AM
When I made my move from Illinois to Delaware in the middle of Winter I took my breeder Angels and about a dozen juveniles along with my BNs and Cories. I squeezed them all into three 5 gallon buckets. I also carried a 29g tank and metal stand in the car. It was a tight fit for sure.

When I got to my temporary housing I emptied the contents of those buckets into the 29 and topped it off with tap water and a shot of prime. It was sure crowded in that tank but with daily water changes I was able to make it work until I got into my apartment and was able to set up more tanks. I lost one angel and one snot through the whole ordeal.

Those fish have produced a couple of thousand offspring in the two years that I have been here. huh
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

ilroost

Ron wish you were closer. I could set you up with all the packing and materials you need for moving.

Ron Sower

Quote from: ilroost on June 26, 2016, 05:33:00 PM
Ron wish you were closer. I could set you up with all the packing and materials you need for moving.

Wow! That's a nice offer!  That would have been cool.  Thanks for the thought  |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on June 26, 2016, 05:48:08 PM

Wow! That's a nice offer!  That would have been cool.  Thanks for the thought  |^|

Geez Louise ??...aren't you there yet?.... huh huh huh huh
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on June 26, 2016, 06:25:00 PM

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Working on it!   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on June 26, 2016, 06:29:13 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on June 26, 2016, 06:25:00 PM

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Working on it!   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

....+1....'gitter done'..... ;D
Jon

BallAquatics

Are you still planning to work when you get to AZ Ron?

Dennis

Ron Sower

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 26, 2016, 06:41:58 PM
Are you still planning to work when you get to AZ Ron?

Dennis
No, that's not in the plan, Dennis.. 8)  See these sunglasses on the happy faces?  They're "not-gonna-work-anymore" sunglasses!!
But, as you well know, things in life sometimes throw you a curve and plans have to change. :(
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron