• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 11:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 321
Total: 321

It's Happened!

Started by PaulineMi, March 10, 2013, 07:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Hard well water with high TDS and discus can thrive.  (Don't expect hatching though.)

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

The guys down in Chicago raise em in 8.0 ph....who knows???...... I know most will start a separate pair tank with a R/O blend to bring the tds's and PH in line tho....

Congrats on the pair......cool... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

That's awesome. Maybe with a little luck you will get fry.   
Scott

PaulineMi

Quote from: Mugwump on March 10, 2013, 08:27:47 PM
The guys down in Chicago raise em in 8.0 ph....who knows???...... I know most will start a separate pair tank with a R/O blend to bring the tds's and PH in line tho....

Congrats on the pair......cool... ;D

Thanks Jon.

I used distilled water to hatch my angel eggs, then blended it with my tap water to raise them. I slowly transitioned them over to straight tap (well) water.  The distilled water worked great but was very inconvenient.  If I wanted to breed and raise discus I'd get an RO unit though.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

You can soften the water with peat, leaves. wood ,etc....but for the tds's you'll need a couple good filters, or R/O....I have a buddy that uses two big heavy duty house filters and pulls his tds's below 75...that may be enough..????
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

How exciting Pauline!!  As they are doing this, their cone is now in my kiln being fired to 2100 degrees.  They will have a more "comfortable" spawning site for next time.  What a beautiful pair!
Barb

PaulineMi

Quote from: b125killer on March 10, 2013, 08:33:43 PM

Thank you.

Barb see how that planter is about the same size as the dis?us?  They're bound and determined to get the job done on there though. They're young.  It's like making out in a Volkswagon. Lol.

BallAquatics

That's fantastic Pauline!  You really know how to make your fish happy.   ;)  Fingers crossed that you get some fry.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 10, 2013, 09:26:58 PM
Quote from: b125killer on March 10, 2013, 08:33:43 PM

It's like making out in a Volkswagon. Lol.

I'd forgotten about that.....LOL....good grief.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Ha ha ha.  I knew what this thread would be about as soon as I read the title.  Congrats!
Always move forward. Never look back.

derick

got my fingers crossed you get some fry,  :)
Derick

PaulineMi

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 11, 2013, 08:40:35 AM
Ha ha ha.  I knew what this thread would be about as soon as I read the title.  Congrats!

;)   ;D ;D

Thanks Derick.

derick

Derick

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on March 10, 2013, 08:27:47 PM
The guys down in Chicago raise em in 8.0 ph....who knows???

It's all about which minerals are in the water and in what form more that it's about pH.  I have gH 0, kH 4.5, pH 7.2.  I should be able to breed in that water, but I can't.  I tried peat before I invested in an RO unit.  I got wigglers using peat.  I didn't have a meter at the time.  I know that peat raises the TDS.  I bet that it lowers electric conductivity.  Do we have any water experts here?
Always move forward. Never look back.

ilroost