• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 06:24:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 140
Total: 141

Snowbirding

Started by Ron Sower, April 24, 2016, 08:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

This is what is happening to us....

We had our first real vacation in 8-9 years in Hawaii as you know. What happened is, we have decided we want to be out of the grey rainy winters of this area. This winter was particularly wet. We'll be going to the Phoenix area to look at properties in senior developments and see if we're sure we're going to like it there. We've been once before.

What I'm struggling with is how to manage my love of this hobby and aquaria while living 4-6 months in 2 different areas.

I've got a couple ideas. One is to ramp up the tanks when we get to the area and shut them down when we leave until our return. This will mean that by the time they get to good plant growth and the aquascape matures, I will have to sell off the livestock and start up at the next location. It will pretty much mean I'll need to stick with livebearers if I want to breed any fish. I don't like being boxed in like that, but I'm already learning how to deal with being boxed in now operating with less space and only a few tanks than I had become accustomed to.

The second idea is to get someone to house-sit here for us and teach them how to care for the fish and worms and my pal, Stan, can check in on them weekly. Then I have to figure out how to have them cared for in the Phoenix area. Hmmmm...

Anybody have any ideas I might want to consider?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GeorgeG

I don't always have a lot of time on my hands but I may be able to help you out here in Phoenix if it is only a couple of tanks or fish but not a large setup as I have my own to take care of.

BillT

If you're driving, maybe you could drive your fish back and forth.

Ron Sower

Quote from: GeorgeG on April 24, 2016, 08:44:28 PM
I don't always have a lot of time on my hands but I may be able to help you out here in Phoenix if it is only a couple of tanks or fish but not a large setup as I have my own to take care of.
Wow! Had no idea anyone on here was in Phoenix?
How far are you from the Florence area?
Are you a member of the DryWash Aquarium Soc or the Desert Aquarist Soc?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Quote from: BillT on April 24, 2016, 09:33:19 PM
If you're driving, maybe you could drive your fish back and forth.
Only 5 tanks, but still too many to try that, and for us it would be a 3+ day drive. We like to stop, stretch and look at things, leisurely meals and get back in and drive again! Thanks for the thought though, Bill.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

...sounds like a dilemma for sure...... 2c2
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

I am about 65 miles from Florence and the only thing I know of the area is the prison out there. I don't go to any of the mettings any more they have them in the middle of the week and I have to be at work early in the morning. Beside they smoke in the buildings and I don't care for it.

Ron Sower

Quote from: GeorgeG on April 25, 2016, 08:23:32 AM
I am about 65 miles from Florence and the only thing I know of the area is the prison out there. I don't go to any of the mettings any more they have them in the middle of the week and I have to be at work early in the morning. Beside they smoke in the buildings and I don't care for it.

George, If we end up there, that's too far to expect anyone to travel to take care of fish. Maybe we can work out something where I would get the tanks to you if you had space for them. But that's a lot of trouble when I could just sell the fish and plants off until the next visit. We'll see how all this plays out.

Thanks a lot for the input. More later as this develops...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

...you realize that with smaller species.....it's pretty cheap to just ship them back and forth to yourself.....?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on April 25, 2016, 11:15:05 AM
...you realize that with smaller species.....it's pretty cheap to just ship them back and forth to yourself.....?

That's something I hadn't thought of! Thanks!
See...I came to the right place for new ideas! I love this group!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 25, 2016, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on April 25, 2016, 11:15:05 AM

That's something I hadn't thought of! Thanks!
See...I came to the right place for new ideas! I love this group!

;D
Jon

Ron Sower

Our house and lot closed today. Once again, Miss Lucy and I are land barons....!!!b 8)

Now I Just want to get down there for some constant sunshine.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

"...and away we go..."...  ;D
Jon

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Congrats Ron.  Hope the new home and climate brings you both much happiness.

Dennis