• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 04:37:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 239
Total: 241

corned beef sale....

Started by Mugwump, March 22, 2016, 03:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

|^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|...found corned beef on sale for less than $1.50/Ib....so grabbed a few 2 1/2 pounders to freeze...(kept one up for one day soon)

nice looking too.....some were flats, and others were nice thick blunt points.....MMMMmmmmm

might grab a few more if we see them still on sale... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 22, 2016, 03:06:11 PM
|^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|...found corned beef on sale for less than $1.50/Ib....so grabbed a few 2 1/2 pounders to freeze...(kept one up for one day soon)

nice looking too.....some were flats, and others were nice thick blunt points.....MMMMmmmmm

2.5 pounders are just the right size for me.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I hoped to find them on sale at my place after St. Patrick's day.  I looked and there were none there.  I bet they made an arrangement to send the ones back that didn't sell to the company. them back Folks down south don't eat corned beef.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 22, 2016, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 22, 2016, 03:06:11 PM

2.5 pounders are just the right size for me.

..same here....2-2 1/2 lbs are about right for dinner and sandwiches....or chop up and make the big bite pieces hash with green onions/hard boiled eggs/etc...mmmmmmm
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 22, 2016, 03:21:07 PM
I hoped to find them on sale at my place after St. Patrick's day.  I looked and there were none there.  I bet they made an arrangement to send the ones back that didn't sell to the company. them back Folks down south don't eat corned beef.

Well that sucks....try a bigger town's larger groceries store...??
Jon

LizStreithorst

Down south here there is almost no market for a corned beef.  People don't even know what it is!  I won't find anything better in Hattiesburg.  The point cut one I bought was delicious but had way too much fat than a good one would have.  It was 1/3rd good meat and 2/3's

I looked on line but I'll be damned if I'll pay $50. for a corned beef.

There is a good butcher shop in Hattiesburg.  It's a hole in the wall place but folks say that they have excellent meat.  I'll have to go in and talk to the owner.  I know what I want and I will corn it myself if I can get a good piece of meat.  These folks told me how to do it:
http://leitesculinaria.com/5912/recipes-homemade-corned-beef.html?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=leitesculinaria/8pw1xs
Always move forward. Never look back.

ilroost

Got a couple myself. Love corned beef. Heck I could make one a month with no problem

ghonk

I still haven't cooked mine,need to do it tomorrow so it will be all gone before easter. 

John Patakos

i was at the store today..corned beef flats were $6.99 a pound...i just can't afford that...

Mugwump

Quote from: John Patakos on March 23, 2016, 08:04:01 PM
i was at the store today..corned beef flats were $6.99 a pound...i just can't afford that...

WallyWorld has the blunt points for around $1.50/lb
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 23, 2016, 08:07:23 PM

Flats were 3.99 a pound at BJ's and the local store still had them at 5.99. Too much fat in the points for me.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 23, 2016, 08:12:38 PM

Flats were 3.99 a pound at BJ's and the local store still had them at 5.99. Too much fat in the points for me.

..surprisingly, we found quite a few that weren't too fatty.... |^|....and for the price, we can trim a bit if need be...I believe the flats were $3.99 here too?
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 24, 2016, 05:06:32 AM

..surprisingly, we found quite a few that weren't too fatty.... |^|....and for the price, we can trim a bit if need be...I believe the flats were $3.99 here too?

I'm going to BJ's later today to see if I can find some cheaper today. I want to save one to make a homemade Pastrami from. I found this recipe that I want to try:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 24, 2016, 10:53:55 AM

I'm going to BJ's later today to see if I can find some cheaper today. I want to save one to make a homemade Pastrami from. I found this recipe that I want to try:

..that looks good....MMMmm....Jimmy Johns has good pastrami
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 24, 2016, 11:13:23 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on March 24, 2016, 10:53:55 AM

..that looks good....MMMmm....Jimmy Johns has good pastrami

No Jimmy John's here. The closest good pastrami place to here is in Philly. The last time I had real good pastrami was the last time I went to Manny's.
Willie