• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 05:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 313
Total: 313

Sunday swap day coffee....>

Started by Mugwump, March 20, 2016, 04:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...coffee's fantastic !!!....getting ready to pack up, and load up......

..it should be a fun day  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Pot #2...Thermos loaded....car almost loaded, the we're off.... |^|.........Catch ya later gang !!
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Lots of fish and tank moving today in preparation for tank stand build.  I have a place to move some 20's and 29's to temporarily If I can find enough air valves.  I have pairs that I don't want to split up and loose track of.  Once I get things moved and fish consolidated I can figure out how many bulk heads and heaters I'll need for the temporary holding containers.  Ken from my LFS called yesterday.  He wants 12 large and 12 medium angels and 10 dots.  Thank God!   The more fish I can sell now the fewer temporary container I'll need to set up. 

As the time fro Mr. Sharp showing up grows closer I'll haul the sofa and coffee table in the house which will mean I'll be able to fit 2 150 gallon containers inside the fish room rather than put them outside.  This is a daunting task.  It involves a lot of work and thinking that only I can do.  But I know I can do it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

I have made a pretty good dent.  Took out my 3 worm culturesthat were behind the sofa and dumped all the vermi compost on the garden.  I feed the worms but haven't bother to feed the worms to the fish for months.  They were just taking up space.  The cultures weighed a ton so I carried out 3 shovelfuls at a time in a container until all 3 containers were empty.  After the main stands are built I may have Mr Sharp build a stand behind the sofa. 

I culled one fish of a HB pair and moved a couple of egg eating pairs into the "not good fish" tanks.  I've wiped their tanks down and squeezed their sponges.  I'm taking a break to listen to a cooking show on the radio.  Then I'll drain those tanks and fill them with either aged tap or RO mix according to what fish I will move to them.

LizStreithorst

Break time again.  When I get done it will look like I have accomplished little but I will have accomplished a lot.  Thank goodness I was able to finagle around in the office and free up a power strip.

Barb

Good luck with it all Liz, I know you can do it!  I wish you were here to help me a bit.
Barb

Mugwump

...Wow Liz...you've been busy....nice job....soon it'll all fall together.. |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

I wish I could help you too, Barb.  I would if I could.  I'm a good helper.  I pay attention and work hard.

I'm down to selecting fish that might make good pairs and putting them into newly set up 20's and 29's.  I'm putting 5 fish in each 29 and will let them fight if out.  They are ready to breed or close to.   being ready.  Surprisingly, I have chosen no HB's.  They turned stupid on me.  they refuse to parent raise.  I just selected 5 nice blue plats.  I have selected 6 Blue Marbles.   My blue marbles are extremely blue.  I like them a lot.  Don't know yet what I'll put into the empty 20.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on March 20, 2016, 03:55:03 PM

The more I get done the easier the path forward seems.  Ken at my LFS said that I should bring my cull Discus to him rather than slap them on the concrete.  I'm going to ask him tomorrow before I head off with the 34 fish he wants to buy, how many free Angels he will take.  Fewer fish that do nothing but eat will be a load off.  I hate having to slap good fish on the concrete but I have too many fish that are of no use to me.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 20, 2016, 04:03:28 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 20, 2016, 03:55:03 PM

The more I get done the easier the path forward seems.  Ken at my LFS said that I should bring my cull Discus to him rather than slap them on the concrete.  I'm going to ask him tomorrow before I head off with the 34 fish he wants to buy, how many free Angels he will take.  Fewer fish that do nothing but eat will be a load off.  I hate having to slap good fish on the concrete but I have too many fish that are of no use to me.

....give them away??.....surely the nice Mr. Ken will offer something for them??....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Ken and his wife Twee have  been good to me.  We go back to before I moved to Mobile for 4 years.  They saved me when I moved from Mobile back to Moselle with a shit load of Discus that I couldn't keep.  They have a small pet store in an area where folks aren't hot for fish.  There is not the market for fish that y'all have.  Yes, I will give them healthy fish that I have no use for.  These folks are like me...They don't forget a kindness.  They give me stuff for free sometimes.  I never pay more than their cost for anything I buy there.  They don't have the tank space that some dedicated fish stores up north.

I'm not about to slap all my fish on the concrete.  There are just way too many that I would have to put in ice water that they might be able to make a bit of money off.  That's good enough for me.  I have a bunch of Blue Marbles and Blue Plat juvies that ain't goin' nowhere.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 20, 2016, 04:52:30 PM
Ken and his wife Twee have  been good to me.  We go back to before I moved to Mobile for 4 years.  They saved me when I moved from Mobile back to Moselle with a shit load of Discus that I couldn't keep.  They have a small pet store in an area where folks aren't hot for fish.  There is not the market for fish that y'all have.  Yes, I will give them healthy fish that I have no use for.  These folks are like me...They don't forget a kindness.  They give me stuff for free sometimes.  I never pay more than their cost for anything I buy there.  They don't have the tank space that some dedicated fish stores up north.

I'm not about to slap all my fish on the concrete.  There are just way too many that I would have to put in ice water that they might be able to make a bit of money off.  That's good enough for me.  I have a bunch of Blue Marbles and Blue Plat juvies that ain't goin' nowhere.

Well then, good for you, and good for them....they sound like my kind of folks  |^|
Jon

Mugwump

..It's been a loooong tiring day...............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

later folks  |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst