• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 12:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 249
Total: 249

New stands

Started by LizStreithorst, March 16, 2016, 04:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Thanks so much, Bill.  I thought about silicone but I don't know if it would adhere to plastic.  Will it?  If so, since I will no longer want to plumb these containers could I silicone a piece of 3/8" glass to the inside of the plastic container to completely seal the holes?   I have a wonderful glass place just a hop skip and jump from my shop.

Believe it or not, I got 3 of these plus a working swimming pool pump for $100. from a scrounger about 10. years ago.  After I moved back home somebody nipped off with the pump, and some good fire wood, and an extension ladder!  (I still miss that ladder).  I know who it was but I have said nothing because...well I guess I have my reasons...the guy is married now to a good woman and is doing way better.

Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

The silicon may or may not stick to your plastic. Greasy feeling plastics (polyethylene or polypropylene may not stick well, but I have used silicon, mostly successfully, by using the bulkheads to clamp the silicon in place mechanically, so it can not move much and is therefore less likely to peal off.
A sheet of plastic or glass on the inside should have the same effect to a lesser extent due to the water pressure. You could also put little screws in around the side of a plastic sheet. I have done this with plastic windows in a rubbermaid tub.

LizStreithorst

Thanks again.  My plastic tub is not in the least greasy.  I'll try silicone under the bulk heads first.  I need to do a bit of work with the bench grinder and dremmel first.

Mugwump

..I think Bill has it right...silicone the bulkheads....see if they have the Locktite silicone by you...I got some from Lowe's....it has adhesives in it and very strong....some use it for building tanks too.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

HA!  Smart guy who I don't like much but still respect may have given me the best answer...an expansion plug!  I've used small ones before but never a huge one.  They last for ever and work perfectly.  I'm looking at this one.  What do y'all think?  http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=74435&catid=701

BillT

Yeah, that would work. I've used them a couple of times.
Just make sure that you don't have bad metals like copper in contact with the water. Or bury it in silicon.

LizStreithorst

They look like brass, stainless and rubber to me. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 05, 2016, 08:23:24 PM
HA!  Smart guy who I don't like much but still respect may have given me the best answer...an expansion plug!  I've used small ones before but never a huge one.  They last for ever and work perfectly.  I'm looking at this one.  What do y'all think?  http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=74435&catid=701

...should work like a bung....?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on April 06, 2016, 06:20:33 AM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 05, 2016, 08:23:24 PM

...should work like a bung....?

It looks good
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

I just use good quality o-rings on my RubberMaid storage tanks, (ie Trash Cans).

Dennis

LizStreithorst

My expansion plugs will be in Monday afternoon.  That will give me 3 150 gallon containers.  Yesterday I brought home 6 55 gallon containers and put the bulkheads in this afternoon.   I have 2 containers outside that I use to raise live mosquitos and daphnia that are raising nothing much ATM.  They look like they hold around 35 gallons each.  I'll be in good shape to house the fish for a day.

LizStreithorst

I called Mr Sharp and nagged him last week.  He was blacking in a house in the rain, poor guy.  I called and nagged him again today.  He's roofing the same house.  Thank God he isn't finishing the inside ::)

I apologized for nagging but told him that three weeks ago he said he would come and take measurements.  I told him that I had everything ready to go on my end and wanted to know when he would get to me.  He said next week.  I sure hope so.  I want this done and over with.  I have empty tanks that I have fish yearning to fill them.  I have a Discus pair in the kitchen! 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 18, 2016, 03:41:39 PM
I called Mr Sharp and nagged him last week.  He was blacking in a house in the rain, poor guy.  I called and nagged him again today.  He's roofing the same house.  Thank God he isn't finishing the inside ::)

I apologized for nagging but told him that three weeks ago he said he would come and take measurements.  I told him that I had everything ready to go on my end and wanted to know when he would get to me.  He said next week.  I sure hope so.  I want this done and over with.  I have empty tanks that I have fish yearning to fill them.  I have a Discus pair in the kitchen!

...tell him to bring the crew and do it all in one swoop.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

He wants to build them at home.  I need for him to come and take measurements first because I want to tell him exactly what I want.  I've got it pretty much figured out.  Some stands will have to be longer so supports can go where they need to go, which is on the corners and sides of the tanks.  I'm quite sure that I have enough room but I suck at figuring out measurements.  It will require more thinking and math on his part than he is expecting.  He thought that he'd just have to do the same as I have now, but better.  I'll have to do some plumbing work to the tanks but I can do that.  I'm great at basic plumbing.  I actually enjoy it :o

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 18, 2016, 04:21:43 PM
He wants to build them at home.  I need for him to come and take measurements first because I want to tell him exactly what I want.  I've got it pretty much figured out.  Some stands will have to be longer so supports can go where they need to go, which is on the corners and sides of the tanks.  I'm quite sure that I have enough room but I suck at figuring out measurements.  It will require more thinking and math on his part than he is expecting.  He thought that he'd just have to do the same as I have now, but better.  I'll have to do some plumbing work to the tanks but I can do that.  I'm great at basic plumbing.  I actually enjoy it :o

|^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Jon