• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 04:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 232
Total: 232

New stands

Started by LizStreithorst, March 16, 2016, 04:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

They cost too much but they work well.  I'm glad that I bought them.

Thanks to the LFS I was able to clear out a 60 wide on a stand that wants to give out.  I think that if I spread the dots out among a few tanks I can empty the other 60 wide on that rack.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Another 120 gallons empty

Mugwump

...you're moving right along, nice......it won't be long now, plus it's a good chance to tidy up and tweak everything if needed....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It just occurred to me.  If I can rustle up a couple of big strong guys, I won't have to buy a gazillion heaters and haul in huge water storage containers for temporary housing.  I already have 350 gallons of empty tanks.   I have 200 gallons of fish on stands that I either built or reinforced myself that don't  need to be replaced.  If I can find someone to set them on the floor for me I can have them filled with water and fish before the carpenters arrive.  That will only 2 100's and a 60 that I need to figure out what to do with.  I think I'm figuring right.  Perhaps not. Even simple arithmetic is somewhat over my head :-[  I have big cords and power strips galore.  I can use the Mangum's to provide air. 

LizStreithorst

I just ordered from Jehmco.  I decided that I wouldn't be able to do this without making the carpenters catch and move fish and wait for me to fill the tanks with water.  When Mr. Sharp calls and tells me that he's coming to take measurements I'll ask him to bring one of his strong helpers with him so that he can move the empty tanks so that I can get fish moved to them before the guys arrive.  I'll have to bring in and set up at least one 150 gallon storage container.  My containers are already drilled for bulkheads but I no longer have the bulkheads huh

Bottom line...I have 3 100 watt, 3 150 watt, and 8 250 watt heaters plus 8 bulk heads for $178..  That is quite a good deal if you ask me.   I think that I'll only need to use 4 or 5 of the heaters but I have no heaters at all in reserve right now and the price on them was so good I figured that it would be a good time to stock up.  I think I'll only need one bulk head, but the size and type I need is on sale.  I thought that it would be nice to have them just in case I decided to raise fish outside during the summer months.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 21, 2016, 09:15:28 AM
The dang leaker.

I'm checking the leaker now.  I have it sitting on Styrofoam on the fish room floor.  It's been an hour and I see no leaks so far.  When I talked to John at Jehmco about rebuilding my stands he said to be sure to put them on Styrofoam.  I said "I already do that".  He said that he had a leaker once and when he set it on Styro it quit leaking.  This tank was on Styro before I moved it and it didn't leak.  I figured that it could sit on wood that the level says is level for a couple of weeks without me having to cut a piece of Styrofoam for it.  Perhaps not.  I'll let it sit on the floor on Styrofoam till morning and see if it leaks.  This isn't a new tank but all the silicone looks fine.  Wouldn't it be nice if it only needs something soft to sit on?

Mugwump

...yes it would be nice.. 8)....good luck  |^|
Jon

Barb

Liz, just keep reminding yourself how great it will be when all the work, worry and expense are over.  It will happen.  Same is true for me too, right?
Barb

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

The tank leaks.  It doesn't leak as much as it did on the bare wood, but water is seeping out somewhere along the bottom glass.  It's OK.  I have the silicone on hand and it's no bid deal to re-silicone a 29.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 22, 2016, 03:25:57 PM
The tank leaks.  It doesn't leak as much as it did on the bare wood, but water is seeping out somewhere along the bottom glass.  It's OK.  I have the silicone on hand and it's no bid deal to re-silicone a 29.

Oh poo !!!.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Re sealing a 29 is nothing.

LizStreithorst

I have 3 of these.  One I'm not worried about because it was not drilled.  I hauled 2 of these 150 gallon water storage containers home.  One last week, and one today.  I used to have these plumbed together using bulkheads and 1" PVC.  When I left Mobile didn't want to hang around long as I loaded my stuff so when I took these I just ripped them apart from one another rather than cut the PVC and load them gently.  They leak from around the the bulk head.  Part of the problem is that the hole I drilled is not perfectly and the new bulk head doesn't fit perfectly.  I could  fix that with a bench grinder.  there is also the problem that there is a raised area where I'd knocked off  a couple of reinforcement pieces.  I'm thinking I could grind them down level with a Dremmel. 

Would that be the easiest way to fix the leak or is a way I could close that 1 3/4" hole forever that is easier?  Surely there is a way.  These are wonderful containers.  I need them while my stands are being rebuilt.  They're made to keep shrimp alive down on the coast until people buy them.  Imagine the fish I could raise in them during the summer months?

BillT

Those are cool containers. I have always wanted one.

In situations that are not perfect for sitting bulkheads, I will often put large amounts of silicon sealer between the bulkhead and the container.

If you have cracks, you might want to try a fish safe epoxy (if it sticks to your material). You might find it at http://pentairaes.com/?gclid=CJeK9s-0-MsCFYlcfgodEH4JHg or maybe Jehmco.

Alternatively, you could either glue in the bulkhead or cover the hole by gluing a piece of plastic on the inside and put in a new bulkhead elsewhere.