• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 09:12:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 372
Total: 372

We won!

Started by BallAquatics, March 16, 2016, 01:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

BillT

Great!

We almost passed a GMO labeling bill in Oregon last year.
Monsanto spend a lot on advertising to get it defeated.
One will probably be passed in the next few years.

The acronym is cool too: DARK=Denying Americans the Right to Know

LizStreithorst

I'm happy to see this myself.  I'm not against GMO's.  They feed a hungry world.  But we are not a 3rd world country.  We have a right to know and choose to pay more if we decide to buy non GMOs.  I object to the "round-up ready" crops that are totally mono-cropped.  I know that they make huge crops possible will less work but the weeds they destroy are habitat for beneficial insects as well as destructive ones. 

They will never pass a labeling bill here in Mississippi.  At least now they will have the chance.

I'm proud of our national legislature for once.  They got together and passed a bill!
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

QuoteThey got together and passed a bill!

Actually, they it sounds like they let it die in committee (not taking action once again), but that's good too.

https://youtu.be/H-eYBZFEzf8

LizStreithorst

Oh well...In this case letting it die was a good thing.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

No ,they voted this morning at 11:45am, or there abouts.  The vote was scheduled for 11:45am.  Video shows 9:20am PT that would be 12:20pm EDT......

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 16, 2016, 01:59:47 PM
The Senate voted to defeat the DARK Act this morning.

http://ecowatch.com/2016/03/16/senate-rejects-dark-act-gmo-labeling/

Dennis

Another area of common ground between us Dennis.
FTR I am opposed to GMOs. We CAN feed the world if we get back to basic principles. And kill off Monsanto.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Great....this is great news......!!!!!....I guess we all agree...... |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 16, 2016, 04:19:56 PM
Great....this is great news......!!!!!....I guess we all agree...... |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|

+1  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

GraphicGr8s

One thing people tend to forget, or may not be aware of if you buy and plant Monsanto seed you can't save the seed and plant again. If that plant pollinates other seed you cant save and plant that seed either. Monsanto has proven how aggressively that will hound you. And as for the repubican <<sic>> senator that brought forth the Monsanto protection act he should be tarred and feathered.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 16, 2016, 10:33:26 PM
One thing people tend to forget, or may not be aware of if you buy and plant Monsanto seed you can't save the seed and plant again. If that plant pollinates other seed you cant save and plant that seed either. Monsanto has proven how aggressively that will hound you. And as for the repubican <<sic>> senator that brought forth the Monsanto protection act he should be tarred and feathered.

They have had exactly this problem in Oregon with some grass seed growers (a big thing around here is to grow grass and sell the seed).

I think that rather than messing with people whose crops were not intentionally fertilized by GMO pollen, Monstanto should learn how to control its own sperm (pollen).
At the least they should buy the GMO fertilized crop at a decent price instead of suing the innocent neighbor.

BallAquatics

Well at least others in the world are waking up to Monsanto's BS.

In India, Monsanto?s seed monopolies, the destruction of alternatives, the collection of superprofits in the form of royalties, and the increasing vulnerability of monocultures has created a context for debt, suicides and agrarian distress which is driving a farmer suicide epidemic in India.

The Indian parliament contends that, patents on seed are illegitimate because putting a toxic gene into a plant cell is not ?creating? or ?inventing? a plant. These are seeds of deception ? the deception that Monsanto is the creator of seeds and life; the deception that while Monsanto sues farmers and traps them in debt, it pretends to be working for farmers? welfare, and the deception that GMOs feed the world. GMOs are failing to control pests and weeds, and have instead led to the emergence of superpests and superweeds.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-seeds-of-suicide-how-monsanto-destroys-farming/5329947

We need to wake up in this country as well.

Dennis

BillT

I am not against GMO's, at least not all of them.
Nor do I think that non-GMO's will be feeding the world in the future.
But I strongly believe that people should be able to determine what they are eating and have a choice about it.
And yes, Monsanto sucks in many ways.

BallAquatics

Yes, the simple fact that they wish to hide the fact that foods contain GMO's tells you something is amiss.  If they are so desirable, they should be a major selling point, and merchants would already be labeling their products to tell the buyer that they contain GMO's.....

Dennis

BillT

I think the main reason is they are afraid people will not like it.
It is their responsibility to educate people so they will accept their product. If they can't do that they should not be depending on the government making laws to get around it.