• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 05:43:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 314
Total: 314

Homemade CO2 bottles

Started by Mugwump, October 17, 2012, 06:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Didn't someone besides me try thes out. The couple that I made did a good job and didn't bounce the PH at all. The 2 litre units jus don't put out that much....but are effective on tanks of around 30 gallons.
Pretty simpls setup and easy to maintain....I think it was Sott that made his own bubble counter/regulator...?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

I'm interested in this subject too. I haven't done a DIY bottle but I have tried a paintball setup but the needle valve I had wouldn't run consistently so its just sitting now.:(

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Josh

b125killer

the 2 liter bottle worked better for me. I couldn't get the regulator on the paintball tank to work right. it would dump all the co2 in the tank in three days. I did get one that was suppose to be made for aquarium use. it just didn't work well.
The co2 didn't effect my PH much. I did find out that if you use a bubble counter that the yeast build up at the end of the air line is a lot less. I also use a glass diffuser to help break up the bubbles so the co2 can be absorbed better. 
Scott

Jdmcfast

Ya I have a glass defuser and everything I need to just throw one together. How often do you have to add more mixture to keep your CO2 going good?

Josh

b125killer

It depended on the mix. some will go longer than others. it's about a two to three weeks. That was with two cups of sugar to a tea spoon of yeast give or take a little. I do know that people very off what I use too.  I used tap water around 100 degrees. I did try to sterilize everything once. I boiled water and let it cool down too 100 degrees. I didn't see any improvement over not sterilizing so I stopped doing that.   
Scott

P4Angels

We use paint ball CO2 cylinders from sports athority. A 20oz bottle ($35)(get the first fill free normaly 4 bucks). Order an on and off for the CO2 bottle with Gauge on eBay($5 +ship) and the needle valve at HD($3) teflan tape (.95). Works like a champ. Only problem is getting it dialed in (one bubble per second). After it's set just let her go. You can amost see the plants grow.... LOL.....
It last me  about a month and it will never blow up in my fish room..

For more detailed instructions from another site check here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115850
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

How long do the 20 oz bottles last??...do they have larger bottles?...nice rig..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

This setup is on my new 100 gallon show tank. I have it running now for only a couple of weeks, reports say A regular 24oz Paintball Co2 Tank at about 2bps will last a good 4-6 months.  I will update mine as things progress.   for under $50 you cant beat this setup...

Here is mini Fluval Flora CO2 Kit will run you 72.00 and that with a 3.1 oz bottle. Online feedback say that it only lasts about a week and the refills costs as much as the inital system.

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

Jdmcfast

Do you happen to know what brand of needle valve you are using?

Josh

P4Angels

I went the one of the big box hardware stores and got one for under $3.00

Jdmcfast

The I tried wouldn't stay consistent and leaked bad with that much pressure

Josh

P4Angels

Sorry to hear that.   I had the same problem at first and me being me would not rest until it worked.  Try again later.  oh and dont forget the tape on all the parts or it wont seal...

b125killer

I have almost the same thing. I even put the tank with the gauges on a bucket of water to see where it was leaking. it didn't have a single bubble come out of it. But when I put it on my aquarium the co2 tank was empty in two days. It was a pain to get getting it dialed in. My   needle valve is way to touchy.
Scott

P4Angels

I here you there.  That looks like my setup 2. But once its set you are good to go.

P4Angels

Here is what I got for xmas:

U.P. Aqua Simple Regulator

and then...

AQUATEK CO2 Paintball Tank CGA 320 Adapter...

Great upgrade for the 100 planted CO2... Works up to a 5 lbs bottle of CO2.  Gonna have to look around Craigslist for one of them.... but for now it on the paint ball cylinder.