• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 12:48:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 253
Total: 253

Windows10

Started by BallAquatics, February 21, 2016, 05:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

I have decided that I will set up Ubuntu as a duo boot to Windows 10. I have a separate drive (SSD) that I can dedicate to Ubuntu already on my computer. mim mim mim
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on May 01, 2016, 06:07:49 PM
I have decided that I will set up Ubuntu as a duo boot to Windows 10. I have a separate drive (SSD) that I can dedicate to Ubuntu already on my computer. mim mim mim

...good plan, that's what I'll be doing also....whenever..........

found this...

""4. By pressing [F8]

Yes, we know we said this no longer works in Windows 10, but you can reactivate it. Here?s how.

Right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu that appears (this isn?t the usual Start menu).

Click the Yes button if prompted to allow the app to make changes to your PC.

Type ? or copy and paste ? the following into the Command Prompt window and press the [Return] key:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

You should now be able to enter Safe Mode when restarting Windows 10 by pressing [F8].

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-restart-windows-10-and-whatever-happened-to-safe-mode-11364000631724
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

What I actually did was set up Ubuntu all alone on it's own drive. My computer boots up to W10 by default. I can change the default in the bios when I want to use Ubuntu. The way I have it set up Ubuntu can see W10 but W10 can't see (and can't delete) the Ubuntu drive.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on May 01, 2016, 07:58:04 PM
What I actually did was set up Ubuntu all alone on it's own drive. My computer boots up to W10 by default. I can change the default in the bios when I want to use Ubuntu. The way I have it set up Ubuntu can see W10 but W10 can't see (and can't delete) the Ubuntu drive.

...doesn't dual boot give you an option at start up??....how are you accessing the 'bios' menu in Win10..?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

What I actually did was set up Ubuntu all alone on it's own drive.

That's the way I would recommend.  Dual boot was just Okay 25 years ago when we didn't have the tech we have today.

.....but W10 can't see (and can't delete) the Ubuntu drive.

LOL  Windoze isn't smart enough to read the Unix / Linux drives, where as.....

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on May 01, 2016, 08:14:05 PM

...doesn't dual boot give you an option at start up??....how are you accessing the 'bios' menu in Win10..?

I just hit delete on bootup to access my bios. It's just two extra clicks on the mouse.
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 02, 2016, 04:48:00 AM
What I actually did was set up Ubuntu all alone on it's own drive.

That's the way I would recommend.  Dual boot was just Okay 25 years ago when we didn't have the tech we have today.

.....but W10 can't see (and can't delete) the Ubuntu drive.

LOL  Windoze isn't smart enough to read the Unix / Linux drives, where as.....

Dennis

So far so good. I'll play around with it some today. Maybe I will load some of that software that W10 deleted on me. Thanks Dennis.
Willie

wsantia1

I am now logged in with Firefox which is running on Linux Mint - Cinnamon flavored. I have it loaded along with Ubuntu on the same drive. They are a duo boot on this drive. The main drive still has Windows 10 on it.

Without me doing anything the computer will boot into W10. If I press delete while booting up it will take me into the bios screen where I can the select the drive that these desktops are on.

When I get comfortable with Linux, I can make the Linux drive the default boot drive in the bios if I choose to. I have a lot more control over my machine now. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on May 03, 2016, 07:06:20 PM
I am now logged in with Firefox which is running on Linux Mint - Cinnamon flavored. I have it loaded along with Ubuntu on the same drive. They are a duo boot on this drive. The main drive still has Windows 10 on it.

Without me doing anything the computer will boot into W10. If I press delete while booting up it will take me into the bios screen where I can the select the drive that these desktops are on.

When I get comfortable with Linux, I can make the Linux drive the default boot drive in the bios if I choose to. I have a lot more control over my machine now. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|

+1..nice job.. |^|
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: wsantia1 on May 03, 2016, 07:06:20 PM
I am now logged in with Firefox which is running on Linux Mint.....

Cool.  Mint is another distribution based on Debian/Ubuntu so once you get used to how it works switching to either of the others is a snap.

Dennis

BallAquatics

How is your Linux adventure coming along Willie???

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 21, 2016, 08:00:33 AM
How is your Linux adventure coming along Willie???

Dennis

It would be going great if I had her telling me she doesn't do Windows. lol Seriously though it's going fine. I haven't been in there in a week or so but then again I haven't been on the desktop that much except for the forum and some banking. I hope to free up some time this week to play. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie