• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 11:56:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,317
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Windows10

Started by BallAquatics, February 21, 2016, 05:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

It is starting to seem like every time there is an update, Windows 10 deletes something without my knowledge or permission. This is very annoying to me because I usually end up reinstalling the deleted item (s) and it works fine afterward.

I understand that in the EULA we agreed to when we installed Windows 10 they stated they have a right to delete items which are deemed to be incompatible with Window 10. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

I haven't experienced, or noticed?. this yet....what have they been deleting?...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 05, 2016, 07:27:29 AM
I haven't experienced, or noticed?. this yet....what have they been deleting?...

Mostly my utility apps. Most recently a program called AI Suite 2. This is a utility program that is on my homemade computer that came with my motherboard.

It is used for overclocking and controlling how your motherboard works. I don't use it much anymore but since they deleted it I get error messages on bootup telling me that it's missing from the path. I will fix it when I get a chance but it is a PITA to have to mess around with something that was not causing a problem.

I see the motherboard manufacturer has a Windows 10 version of the utility but I am not sure it covers my motherboard. It also deletes Malwarebytes every now and then. I like Malwarebytes because it picks up things that Windows Defender doesn't.
Willie

John Patakos

Quote from: Barb on February 21, 2016, 02:52:43 PM
Is it OK if I just keep my Windows 8.1?  My life is in such turmoil, I dread anything new that will further complicate things for me.
Barb

my thoughts perzackly...

wsantia1

So the missing programs continue. This time open office is missing as well as some of my photo editing software. I read that the EULA for windows 10 states that it will do that if the program is incompatible. I say this is bullshit. F&#K Microsoft and Windows 10. I will now look for something else as soon as I can backup the working programs that I have left. >:( >:( >:(
Willie

Mugwump

I deleted and reloaded Open Office...they have a Win10 now.....lots of the little apps have one now too, if you can find em and reinstall.....it's getting better now....a bit anyway....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I am not going to let MS dictate to me what I can and can't have on my PC. It deleted a video program and some very special videos that I created and edited. I think that I have backups and if not my daughter has the copies I made for her but in the end this was totally uncalled for b.s.  >:( >:( >:(

I am in the process of copying all of the data files over to a usb drive and when I am finished I will either reinstall Windows 8.1 or install Linux. I am sure that there will be something that will be lost forever. >:(  >:( >:(.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 29, 2016, 05:49:51 PM
I am not going to let MS dictate to me what I can and can't have on my PC. It deleted a video program and some very special videos that I created and edited. I think that I have backups and if not my daughter has the copies I made for her but in the end this was totally uncalled for b.s.  >:( >:( >:(

I am in the process of copying all of the data files over to a usb drive and when I am finished I will either reinstall Windows 8.1 or install Linux. I am sure that there will be something that will be lost forever. >:(  >:( >:(.

...Whoa.....it's got your dander up, huh?......well now might be the time to go with cinnamon then....
Jon

wsantia1

I'm looking through the app listing drop down list in W10 and while the missing programs are listed when I select them my computer gives me an error message that it "can't find the program at that location". That's because they are no longer on the computer. huh

I will check and make a list of the programs that are listed in the app section and are now missing.

If I want or need them I will reinstall them. There will probably be a Windows 10 upgrade to some of them. -::)

If I can't get these random deletions to stop I have a Linux distro already downloaded and ready to load.  |^|

I will probably start that process tomorrow. wfwf wfwf wfwf
Willie

Mugwump

I have a brand new HD sitting here that I may load as a slave...then load Linux/Cinnamon......dual boot is an option too.... |^|
Jon

BallAquatics

I've been playing with Ubuntu MATE 16.04  Just released this month and as an LTS release it will be supported through 2021.  Ubuntu is probably the easiest Linux to get started with and when you are comfortable with it you can easily move up to Debian, the base that Ubuntu is built on.

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 30, 2016, 06:40:00 AM
I've been playing with Ubuntu MATE 16.04  Just released this month and as an LTS release it will be supported through 2021.  Ubuntu is probably the easiest Linux to get started with and when you are comfortable with it you can easily move up to Debian, the base that Ubuntu is built on.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Ubuntu is what I downloaded. I still have to check to make sure I back up everything that I need before I wipe Windows 10 off of my main machine.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 30, 2016, 07:55:37 AM
Quote from: BallAquatics on April 30, 2016, 06:40:00 AM

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Ubuntu is what I downloaded. I still have to check to make sure I back up everything that I need before I wipe Windows 10 off of my main machine.

HD's are cheap now days....you could grab grab one to load the Linux..... huh...
Jon

BallAquatics

My pleasure Willie.  Once you make the switch you'll be wondering why you waited so long  LOL.

One of the nice things about Ubuntu, is the many different distributions and the different desktop options they present.  Once you get the hang of things, you can install whatever desktop is to your liking, but when first starting out, it's nice to have it bundled right into the OS installation.

See What?s New in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Flavors...
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/see-whats-new-ubuntu-16-04-flavors-screenshot

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon