• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 09:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,313
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 256
Total: 258

Windows10

Started by BallAquatics, February 21, 2016, 05:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

By Microsoft?s own admission, Windows 10 is like no other operating system it has ever created. It exists across multiple platforms from desktops to tablets to Windows phones; as do the apps designed for the new OS.  It?s self-updating and self-healing in ways mostly invisible to users. That has lead Microsoft to coin a new term when describing Windows 10: Windows as a service.

In fact, Microsoft says Windows 10 is the last OS it will ever create. That doesn?t mean Microsoft is leaving the OS market. Instead the company plans to release significant upgrades and patches to Windows 10 in such a way that everyone from enterprise IT administrators to home users will no longer need to go through the process of rolling out a new OS. Windows 10 will simply evolve and change over time, possibly significantly, without end users having to do anything.

Here's the link to the complete PDF.....
https://download.1105media.com/pub/mcp/Files/Flexera_GameChanger.pdf

Dennis

Mugwump

I really haven't had any problems with Win 10 at all.....it takes a bit to first find everything in the 'settings' but even tho worded, and presented differently, all are functional....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 21, 2016, 05:06:46 AM
That has lead Microsoft to coin a new term when describing Windows 10: Windows as a service.

Hmmm. Windows as a service. I wonder if down the road that will equate to yearly service fees. ???
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on February 21, 2016, 07:15:16 AM
Quote from: BallAquatics on February 21, 2016, 05:06:46 AM
That has lead Microsoft to coin a new term when describing Windows 10: Windows as a service.

Hmmm. Windows as a service. I wonder if down the road that will equate to yearly service fees. ???

I really doubt that they could get away with that....... huh....but...??????
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

That would be my guess.  You know they had something up their sleeve when they offered free upgrades to Windows 10.....

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 21, 2016, 07:24:05 AM

That would be my guess.  You know they had something up their sleeve when they offered free upgrades to Windows 10.....

Dennis

I'm thinking why try to get you to upgrade and then have to support all those different versions of Windows when they can provide "updates" to Windows 10 when you pay for the service. That's what the anti-virus folks do.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on February 21, 2016, 07:29:07 AM

Dennis

I'm thinking why try to get you to upgrade and then have to support all those different versions of Windows when they can provide "updates" to Windows 10 when you pay for the service. That's what the anti-virus folks do.

I will not pay for Windows....period.....say 'hello' Linux.. ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on February 21, 2016, 08:07:35 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on February 21, 2016, 07:29:07 AM

Dennis

I will not pay for Windows....period.....say 'hello' Linux.. ;D

+1
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

This sounds kind of like the way Apple does its operating system. They did a big change to OSX (operating system 10) many years ago (2001?). After that they have done lots of small upgrades (for free as I recall) and some big upgrades (10.11.3) that may or may not cost money.
One thing the upgrades do for the companies is they keep more computers current and provide a more unified set of users to provide support to.

Barb

Is it OK if I just keep my Windows 8.1?  My life is in such turmoil, I dread anything new that will further complicate things for me.
Barb

LizStreithorst

10 is so similar to 8.1 that even I didn't have a problem when I switched, but keep it until they don't support it anymore if you like.  Dennis says that MS copied windows 10 from the Linux OS, so I expect adjusting to Linux won't be that difficult.  But if MS makes me pay, I'm gone.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 21, 2016, 03:07:32 PM
Dennis says that MS copied windows 10 from the Linux OS, so I expect adjusting to Linux won't be that difficult.

Some how, we must have gotten our wires crossed on that one!

Dennis

LizStreithorst

BallAquatics

No need to be sorry Liz.  I was probably off running amuck in geekdom and didn't fully explain myself.   ??? ??? ???

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 23, 2016, 11:03:02 AM
No need to be sorry Liz.  I was probably off running amuck in geekdom and didn't fully explain myself.   ??? ??? ???

Dennis

WHOA !!!!!..."geekdom"...... 8).....
Jon