• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 12:55:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 343
Total: 343

How Perceptions are Affected by your Body

Started by BillT, February 17, 2016, 11:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on February 17, 2016, 11:31:04 AM
Size and distance perception can be affected by your body and what you want to do:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/02/six-ways-your-body-changes-your-perception-0?utm_campaign=email-news-latest&et_rid=33537079&et_cid=280171

I once had a coach tell me that it's only as far as you want it to be in swimming.....he was right then...when I was in the 'zone' a few 50 meter laps was nothing....when I was tired because it was a late meet...they looked miles away...so you play head games with yourself and fool the distance in your mind by pumping yourself up for the race....the Adrenalin somehow compensated for your perception...you hit the water hard the first lap and got into 'cruise' mode.....in your mind it was an easy swim....weird...but it worked most times.. |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on February 17, 2016, 12:15:43 PM
Lots of head games in sports I guess, heh?

..trust me....a lot of mental things happening to get an edge.....but psyching yourself is the most important.. |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson