• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 12:43:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 350
Total: 351

Multies from Aron & Lori

Started by Ron Sower, February 20, 2013, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

At the last GSAS meeting Aron (and Lori by proxy) brought me a group of very young multi shell dwellers.  (Thank you both for them!)

Well, I put them in a Fluval Edge with some calcium type substrate, and since I didn't have any snail shells, I took Aron's advice and dumped in a dozen 1/2'' plastice plumbing pipe elbows.  I poured in some more water from a pitcher and notice that I'd made a large divit in the sand.  I told myself I'd smooth it out in the morning. 

Morning came and went and I didn't get it smoothed out.  That evening there were mounds of sand and crater-divits all around the tank!!!  These little guys are true excavators!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've had more fun watching the tiny guys do their thing that I did when I had my Malawis in the 100 gallon.  those guys were adults, but these guys are just babies!!!!

Thanks, Aron, for ''forcing' me into a new species!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Awesome.  :)  Shell dwellers are soooo cute. Definitely entertaining.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Aquarium's answer to the beaver....LOL...they sound neat..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels2

What's really funny is I could not figure out for the life of me why Aron wanted these little creatures..and once we got them it was love at first landscape project and now I want to go thru clean up their shells and flatten everything again just to see them change it again

PaulineMi

Here's an example of why those of us who have shell dwellers find them entertaining.  These are my spunky little Neolamprologus brevis fry trying to eat live blackworms:

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Cool...... ;D....like a tug o war.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels2

could be like the movie Lady and The Tramp with the spaghetti noodle??? ;D

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels2 on February 20, 2013, 06:38:16 PM
could be like the movie Lady and The Tramp with the spaghetti noodle??? ;D

Jon

Mugwump

How long do the 'Multi's' live....what's the best size for a grouping??..best substrate??...foods??
Jon

P4Angels2

Not sure of the life span of them as when they are ready they seem to jump out of the tank at us.... ::) our substrate now is crushed coral we used to use sand but found that we didn't care for it as well...the really like live baby brine as well as flake foods..fun to use the baby brine and see all of the "newborns" come out of the shells to eat as well.... we started with about 25 of the little critters but seems as though they are breeding a lot worse than rabbits seem to because everyday we see more and more new kids coming out of their shells. When Aron took some to Ron and to the auction the next day it sure didn't seem like we had taken any out. For us they are not just bottom dwelling fish they are in a 55 gal and come up to the top quite a bit to swim around even with the endlers that are in there....

PaulineMi

Mine are N. Brevis...similar to multis but they claim a smaller territory. The life span of both is in the five year range. My female is about that age and is looking like she's in her golden years. Her swim bladder is apparently non functional. She is goby-like...hanging out on the bottom but up and about to eat. Bless her little heart.

Being of the cichlid territorial mind set the ones that end up on the floor usually are there due to a charge attack by a dominant male. I've had it happen when the only opening was a spot next to the filter.  Julidochromis marlieri do this also.

A soft substrate allows the shell dwellers to arrange their housing and landscaping to their liking. The parents spawn in their shells and protect their fry. They are very prolific but easy to catch. Stick your hand in the tank and whoosh....they retreat to their shells in a flash.

When population control became necessary I put a pair in a gravel bottom African cichlid tank. When I sold off the Africans I put them back in a sand bottom tank with my inkfin calvus and the two julies who managed to escape a sell off of their parents and siblings.

Mugwump

Interesting little creatures....our grandkids would like watching them...
Jon

P4Angels2

Grandkids would really love watching and seeing the changes that happen all of the time...my dad was amazed at these little critters!!

Ron Sower

Guess what!!!!!  LInda was watching the shellies the other day and said there's a baby!  I looked and all I saw was one of the smaller ones I got from the Jemisons.  Then today I was watching them and out pops a teeny one!!! I swear I think this group is too young to breed.....but I guess not!

I have mine in Fluval Edge with small grains of calcium type substrate and plumbing elbows...(did I already say that here?).  They change the tank so much that I've decided to level the substrate, place the elbows evenly throughout, take a photo, and then take a photo about the same time every day for awhile.  It should be fun.  There are 3 bigger fellows (about 3/4'' long) that definitely have claimed the majority of the real estate in there.  I want to see how it all plays out with a landscape change.

Anyone remember their Roman and Greek mythology from jr. high days?  Remember how the mortals used to say the gods just set up situations to ''play'' with them and watch what happens from on high Mt. Olympus?????   :o That's kinda what we do isn't it!!!!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

cool...time lapse chaos.....I like it... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon