• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 07:57:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 337
Total: 337

Custom tank update

Started by Ron Sower, February 09, 2016, 01:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Since we are done with the big stuff in our ''remodel'' I'm onto getting started with the custom-built tank. Lucy and I visited the builder one day last week on our way to Ikea. He gave me some good ideas about the draining and filling for w/c's. I've been on line with Stephan today on how to incorporate the HMF in a display tank. He sent me a good idea I hadn't thought of also.

Tank size is going to be about 60''L x 18"D x 20"H - no rim - open top - with bulkhead for filling and bulkhead for gravity draining. Draining bulkhead will be at the 20% level. I can refill and redrain if I ever want to do more than that. The filtration will have a chamber centered in the back, probably with overflow and space between the front of the chamber and foam sheet, and space behind it for the jetlifters and heater. So the foam will be centered across the witdth of the filter chamber. The chamber will be constructed with black acrylic and the back glass of the tank will be black glass or painted black.

I've been experimenting with my small Aqueon Evolve 5g tank with a similar filter chamber and like it a lot. The Poret foam is doing a great job in it. In a second one I put a bunch of other brands of foam pieces and it is working well too. I started with both tanks cloudy because I removed the filter medium I'd been using and left them without for several weeks. Within a week or less both tanks cleared to crystal-like water within about 3 days. Of course, both tanks are choked with plants too..!!!

I will use the Poret foam from Swiss Tropicals because Stephan has been so helpful with the information I seek.

So... moving on. Now to design the stand for ease and functionality! The builder recommends a plywood stand for the strength as well as water resistance compared to MDF stuff.  I want to use doors that match the ones we just got with our Ikea entertainment cabinets. He was hesitant because they are probably  MDF.  Do you guys think It would work if I heavily coat the back of the doors with a marine varnish or polyurethane finish? The front already has some sort of acrylic or polyurethane finish that I would not touch.

Okay, that's my update!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

That sounds like a great tank Ron. Good luck with it. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 09, 2016, 01:34:12 PM
Since we are done with the big stuff in our ''remodel'' I'm onto getting started with the custom-built tank. Lucy and I visited the builder one day last week on our way to Ikea. He gave me some good ideas about the draining and filling for w/c's. I've been on line with Stephan today on how to incorporate the HMF in a display tank. He sent me a good idea I hadn't thought of also.

Tank size is going to be about 60''L x 18"D x 20"H - no rim - open top - with bulkhead for filling and bulkhead for gravity draining. Draining bulkhead will be at the 20% level. I can refill and redrain if I ever want to do more than that. The filtration will have a chamber centered in the back, probably with overflow and space between the front of the chamber and foam sheet, and space behind it for the jetlifters and heater. So the foam will be centered across the witdth of the filter chamber. The chamber will be constructed with black acrylic and the back glass of the tank will be black glass or painted black.

I've been experimenting with my small Aqueon Evolve 5g tank with a similar filter chamber and like it a lot. The Poret foam is doing a great job in it. In a second one I put a bunch of other brands of foam pieces and it is working well too. I started with both tanks cloudy because I removed the filter medium I'd been using and left them without for several weeks. Within a week or less both tanks cleared to crystal-like water within about 3 days. Of course, both tanks are choked with plants too..!!!

I will use the Poret foam from Swiss Tropicals because Stephan has been so helpful with the information I seek.

So... moving on. Now to design the stand for ease and functionality! The builder recommends a plywood stand for the strength as well as water resistance compared to MDF stuff.  I want to use doors that match the ones we just got with our Ikea entertainment cabinets. He was hesitant because they are probably  MDF.  Do you guys think It would work if I heavily coat the back of the doors with a marine varnish or polyurethane finish? The front already has some sort of acrylic or polyurethane finish that I would not touch.

Okay, that's my update!

..sounds like a good plan...glass tops?....LED light?....I think the doors will be fine with insides coated with polyurethane...definitely a plywood top, coated too?, and a durable 2X4 frame......are you going to cut the carpet out under the base?.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Open top...Finnex Planted Plus LED light source...I do too on the doors...Plywood top to be coated...will find out about the frame...no carpet - laminate flooring, and yes, I'm very careful with the water spills! I keep about 3 large bath towels on the floor when I'm working on the tanks and 10 more at the ready!

Thanks!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 09, 2016, 03:49:25 PM
Open top...Finnex Planted Plus LED light source...I do too on the doors...Plywood top to be coated...will find out about the frame...no carpet - laminate flooring, and yes, I'm very careful with the water spills! I keep about 3 large bath towels on the floor when I'm working on the tanks and 10 more at the ready!

Thanks!

Special reason for open top?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I love the look. It's like looking down into the edge of a river, lake or pond for me, where I spent most of my youth and young adult outings. It also forces me to do regular water changes because when the level gets low I don't like the looks. Little humidity problem since i don't have a lot of tanks.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 09, 2016, 04:07:24 PM
I love the look. It's like looking down into the edge of a river, lake or pond for me, where I spent most of my youth and young adult outings. It also forces me to do regular water changes because when the level gets low I don't like the looks. Little humidity problem since i don't have a lot of tanks.

The 30 breeder that's set up here now is like that......lots of fry, and I like looking down at them....fry are neat....the back half is covered somewhat tho....

don't blame you....looking down is as good at looking at the front .. |^|

Jon

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Are you putting the drain bulkhead behind the filter foam Ron?  Makes it very handy and you don't have to worry about any fish getting sucked out with the water.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 10, 2016, 06:51:12 AM
Are you putting the drain bulkhead behind the filter foam Ron?  Makes it very handy and you don't have to worry about any fish getting sucked out with the water.

Dennis

....good thought, Dennis.... |^|
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on February 10, 2016, 06:57:08 AM
Quote from: BallAquatics on February 10, 2016, 06:51:12 AM

Dennis

....good thought, Dennis.... |^|

Yes, I am, Dennis. The inflow bulkhead will go there too.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Finished scketching the filter box for the Poret foam and sent it to Stephan to take a look at it. He thought it was fine and suggested the filter block and pore sizes to use in it.

Now I need to get the plumbing in place and order the tank!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron