• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 10:48:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 317
Total: 317

FCC changes

Started by Mugwump, January 29, 2016, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Ninety-nine percent of pay-tv subscribers are chained to their set-top boxes because cable and satellite operators have locked up the market. Lack of competition has meant few choices and high prices for consumers ? on average, $231 in rental fees annually for the average American household. Altogether, U.S. consumers spend $20 billion a year to lease these devices. Today, FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler?s is proposing a way to tear down the barriers that currently prevent innovators from developing new ways for consumers to access and enjoy their favorite shows and movies on their terms.

FCC proposes new rules permitting you to bring your own TV set top box to Cable/Satellite TV. Reminiscent of being able to supply your own telephone for POTS with AT&T in 1980s. It will happen - and cable companies will fight it. Spoiler alert for attempts to use DMCA to protect encryption into set top boxes. My DirecTV bill includes $42.49 / month to rent set top boxes. I can pay for a whole bunch of Amazon Fire devices for that and stream all the Netflix I want. End game will be that "cable" TV as we know it will disappear, replaced with Internet delivery of everything. It will take ... 5 years? Look for home broadband data rates to grow and redundant internet connections to houses to become more mainstream.

"Over the past 20 years, the cost of cable set-top boxes has risen 185% while the cost of computers, televisions and mobile phones has dropped by 90%"..
Consumer advocates cheered the move...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

That cost is why I dumped Satellite years ago and have not had cable T.V since the 80'S Rabbit ears are enought for my and my Amazon Fire T.V