• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 01:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 261
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 374
Total: 374

bristlenose fin lenght dominent or ressesive

Started by EvanJ, February 10, 2013, 10:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvanJ

I have been searching the web and I am finding mixed answers on fin lenght in bristlenoses.
Is the long fin gene dominent or ressesive. If I breed a std fin to a long will I get a 50/50mix like the longfin gene in angels.
Or will I not see longs tell F2

BallAquatics

This is from one of the admins over on Planet Catfish...
QuoteI'm pretty sure Long fins is a random mutation that is line-bred to "lock it in". It is entirely possible that several mutations are needed, and that the common scenario where people are mixing things will have some of those mutations already, and depending on which ones are present or not present, the results are more variable than you'd expect.

Sounds like the matter is far from being solved. 

Dennis

EvanJ

Thank you. Ya I looked all over and after reading so much stuff that said it was or wasnt my mind went blank :o

BillT

In zebrafish, which is pretty well understood genetically, there are at least two different genes which when mutated can make long fins. The one found most often in pet stores is a dominant. I think most long fin mutants in live bearers are long fin also, but I'm not positive on that.

BillT

The actual genes that are responsible for traits like this are probably conserved across many species.

Frank The Plumber

I do get some shorts from my cross of two longs. About 10% or so on my pair.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Quote from: EvanJ on February 10, 2013, 10:09:01 AM
I have been searching the web and I am finding mixed answers on fin lenght in bristlenoses.
Is the long fin gene dominent or ressesive. If I breed a std fin to a long will I get a 50/50mix like the longfin gene in angels.
Or will I not see longs tell F2

No, it's recessive...I have a Albino Long fin (stud muffin) paired with a std brown female that carries an Albino(the cougar)....I'm raising two spawns now and there's no sign of the long fin....sibling crosses should produce a small pertcentage...but which siblings???...LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson