• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:32:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 320
Total: 320

Winter solstice coffee..

Started by Mugwump, December 21, 2015, 05:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My cord goes straight from the dryer screw-ins to the outlet. 

I asked why they didn't leave the old one.  He said that this one was already in and they'd take the old one back to the store and sell it.  It was no longer in the box but he said it didn't matter. 

The more I think about this the more I believe that there is dishonesty and theft afoot behind my store's back.  I won't go accusing until I know for sure.  What do y'all think?  I'll call my electrician tomorrow and get the expert's opinion if you think I'm right.  If y'all and Mr. Brady think that something ain't right in Denmark I can take it from there.  I won't let this slide if I'm right.  The two things I most despise are a liar and a thief.  It's one of my quirks huh
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 21, 2015, 06:55:53 PM
My cord goes straight from the dryer screw-ins to the outlet. 

I asked why they didn't leave the old one.  He said that this one was already in and they'd take the old one back to the store and sell it.  It was no longer in the box but he said it didn't matter. 

The more I think about this the more I believe that there is dishonesty and theft afoot behind my store's back.  I won't go accusing until I know for sure.  What do y'all think?  I'll call my electrician tomorrow and get the expert's opinion if you think I'm right.  If y'all and Mr. Brady think that something ain't right in Denmark I can take it from there.  I won't let this slide if I'm right.  The two things I most despise are a liar and a thief.  It's one of my quirks huh

...just call the store and tell them to bring a dryer that works.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

BallAquatics

If the electrician took the back off the dryer and checked where the power comes into the unit and it was fine, then the cord could not have been bad.  That was what he was checking when he took that measurement.

If all is working, what's the issue?  I must be missing something here.

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The problem is that the electrician checked the power from the outlet through the cord the back of the dryer and there was electricity to it yet the installing guy said the cord was bad.  This is impossible!  I have examined the "bad" cord and it appears perfect.  I guess what I need to do to find out for sure  is to replace the new cord with the old cord and plug it in.

The issue here is that I have a feeling that someone is stealing from my small town local business.  I will tell.  I don't like doing this kind of thing but when there is dishonesty involved I kinda can't let it slide huh

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 21, 2015, 07:22:12 PM
The problem is that the electrician checked the power from the outlet through the cord the back of the dryer and there was electricity to it yet the installing guy said the cord was bad.  This is impossible!  I have examined the "bad" cord and it appears perfect.  I guess what I need to do to find out for sure  is to replace the new cord with the old cord and plug it in.

The issue here is that I have a feeling that someone is stealing from my small town local business.  I will tell.  I don't like doing this kind of thing but when there is dishonesty involved I kinda can't let it slide huh

.if the cord there now is good, and it won't run...then the machine is bad....if it runs now.....what's the issue??...a swapped cord??..............are you drying clothes with it now?.....yes/no...

I understand the thing about them saying that they swapped a cord when they didn't.....new machines come with cords on them...nothing to swap...
Jon

BillT

I find this interesting. Many possibilities.

It could be that:

1) The install guy could have damaged the cord when taking out the dryer and only noticed the damage later (a not too smart option), (could be something like a tab on the end of the cord getting pulled off).

2) The install guy might not understand electricity very well (another stupid guy hypothesis).

3) There could be mis-communication between any two of the people involved (you, electrician, install guy).

4) There might be some kind of twisted economic incentive for the store or the employee to say it is the opposite of what it was.

I put the most trust in the electrician. He's probably the most knowledgeable, tested everything, and has no  personal gain incentive.

LizStreithorst

I've thought about it some and decided that it was a case of stupidity.  The store wouldn't screw me just for the price of a cord.  I'm a good customer.  I went to the hardware store this afternoon for a couple of 24" fluorescent tubes for my overhead kitchen light.  I talked to the guy who is either a manager or assistant manager.  He was the one I talked to after the electrician was here.  After I called and told him that the electrician said that it was the dryer he called the electrician and talked to him.  The electrician told him that he tested that power was getting to the dryer.  At any rate, I've decided that nothing untoward was going on.  Stupidity is not untoward.

I'm having second thoughts about the installation guy, though.  He asked me about my old tractor and when I told him that it was broken he said that he could fix it for me.  He said that he was really trained as a diesel mechanic but his job at the hardware store pay's well and he couldn't get a good paying job as a diesel mechanic within driving distance.  I was all hot for him to to it on the weekends.  Now, I'll think on it a but longer before I let him put his hands on it.  He sure did like my old tractor.  He asked it he could examine it after he finished with the dryer.  I'm not sure if I trust him.  I'll talk to him again and decide.