• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 07:44:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 217
Total: 217

Saint Puppy

Started by LizStreithorst, December 17, 2015, 04:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

He is my number one dog since I had my last number one put to sleep last year due to cancer.  He's a gentle soul.  He never meets an enemy.   But I know in my heart that he has the protective gene...

Almost 4 years ago he had surgery on his cruciate ligament.  He jumped out of the beast from the seat.  It's a long way down and hurt himself.  I came home from work this afternoon and he's walking on 3 legs again.  I can't even remember if it's the same leg as last time.  I called my darling vet.  He and I are good buddies although we 'bout never see one another any more...I told him the stuff.  He said that it's almost always always the other leg, and I said that the stupid standard of perfection for Chows calls for states that they should be straight stifled.  (It has always griped me when breed standards call for something inherently not functional)

He said That he can't schedule surgery until Monday.  I asked if would do any harm to wait to see if he self heals huh  He said,"no".  I have an appointment with him Monday at 8.  If my dog needs surgery (which he will) he will do it Monday afternoon.  Saint Puppy is 11 years old. He's in perfect health other than the cruciate problems.  But he no spring chicken.  I'm sure he will handle the surgery fine.  But this happening made me aware that of my 7 dogs I don't have none that has it in it to be number one.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Aw, poor dog.  But good to hear you have a good vet you like and have confidence in.  Hope he heals up well.  But if he has to step aside as #1 then I bet you have another dog who will be able to fill the spot.  Even if he or she has to learn.

I got a surprise package today.  I am looking forward to my shower later tonight.  Thanks Liz!
Barb

Mugwump

The poor pup...I'm hoping that he heals himself.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I called my friend/veterinarian on his cell after hours.  I was feeling sorry for my dog.  He hurts.  He is going to do me a favor.  He going to call in a scrip in to my local pharmacy for an opioid.  He only needs enough to get through until Monday.  He's get some relief soon.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 17, 2015, 06:15:59 PM
I called my friend/veterinarian on his cell after hours.  I was feeling sorry for my dog.  He hurts.  He is going to do me a favor.  He going to call in a scrip in to my local pharmacy for an oppiod.

...sounds like a good man....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

He is a wonderful man.  He is one of the few people who know my heart.

Mugwump

How's the pup felling today?....better, I hope... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Thanks for asking.  I got his meds first thing this morning.  This afternoon he's still on 3 legs but he is more active and his demeanor has changed from miserable to happy.

Guess what...The USP guy came today with my draining hoses.  He has a litter of Boxers.  My first dog growing up was a Boxer.  They are my favorite breed.  I've been wanting one but I want a good one.  Good ones are hard to find for less than $1000.  This guy has the dam on premises and said that the sire's pedigree is full of Champions.  He said that his boxers are good.  We shall see...The pups are just 3 weeks old now but he will call me when they're ready to go.  My eye will tell me if the dam is good.  I want to take a look at the sire's pedigree.  He's asking $600. for the pups.  Not half bad if the parents are good.

Since my first dog was a Boxer I think it's only fitting that the last dog I buy be a Boxer. 

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 18, 2015, 02:56:06 PM
Thanks for asking.  I got his meds first thing this morning.  This afternoon he's still on 3 legs but he is more active and his demeanor has changed from miserable to happy.

Guess what...The USP guy came today with my draining hoses.  He has a litter of Boxers.  My first dog growing up was a Boxer.  They are my favorite breed.  I've been wanting one but I want a good one.  Good ones are hard to find for less than $1000.  This guy has the dam on premises and said that the sire's pedigree is full of Champions.  He said that his boxers are good.  We shall see...The pups are just 3 weeks old now but he will call me when they're ready to go.  My eye will tell me if the dam is good.  I want to take a look at the sire's pedigree.  He's asking $600. for the pups.  Not half bad if the parents are good.

Since my first dog was a Boxer I think it's only fitting that the last dog I buy be a Boxer.

I am glad you pooch is feeling better today, Liz. Hopefully your vet will make him feel even better. I love Boxers. Boxers and Dobermans were my favorite breeds of dogs growing up. I like Jacks now too, even though today mine is being a PITA. lol
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

The first three dogs we had when I was a kid were also boxers, so I like them also.

A few years ago I met the guy who first sequenced the dog genome.
He said they did boxers because they were the most inbred (this makes it easier to figure out the sequence).
They found a boxer to sequence that was ~75% homozygous (meaning the same). This means that if you randomly pick a gene, there is a 75% chance that the gene on the other chromosome will be the same. This is a very high level of inbreeding for something that is not intentionally being inbred.

LizStreithorst

Barb

Glad he is better Liz.  BTW, our son has a big white boxer, named Rocky, he is their "baby" and our "grandson", as we are told.  If you get a puppy, remember NADA next summer.  Do you have a reliable dog sitter? 
Barb

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Barb on December 17, 2015, 05:52:59 PM
Aw, poor dog.  But good to hear you have a good vet you like and have confidence in.  Hope he heals up well.  But if he has to step aside as #1 then I bet you have another dog who will be able to fill the spot.  Even if he or she has to learn.

I got a surprise package today.  I am looking forward to my shower later tonight.  Thanks Liz!
Barb

Barb, I just now saw this post.  I don't know how I missed it.  I've been following the thread...

Saint Puppy will be my number one until the day he is no longer with me.  I want one with the potential to fill the role when that day comes.

LizStreithorst

I just put the food bowls up.  (I feed kibble free choice.)  My vet didn't tell me to do it but I know...He said that he could do the surgery Monday afternoon.  I want Saint puppy to be ready.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 20, 2015, 07:23:33 PM
I just put the food bowls up.  (I feed kibble free choice.)  My vet didn't tell me to do it but I know...He said that he could do the surgery Monday afternoon.  I want Saint puppy to be ready.

... now if the little one doesn't drag in a deer leg....you'll be good to go...
Jon