• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 07:58:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 339
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 324
Total: 324

In need of advice once again

Started by LizStreithorst, December 12, 2015, 01:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I know that I'm more trouble than I'm worth....This time it's the breaks on The Beast.

They have gone out on me 3 times now.  It's scary because The Beast is huge and heavy and almost impossible to stop without the power brakes not working.  The first time was over 2 years ago.  It happened in a parking lot in Hattiesburg.  Thank God I made him stop.  The ABS light never came on.  It happened again a year or so ago in my drive way.  I was going slow again but I almost hit my horse in the butt.  The ABS light did come on but by the time I got to Chip's place it had gone out.  It happened 3 times just now as I was driving back from mailing letters at the PO around the corner here in Ellisville.  The light never came on.

So far this has only happened when I'm going slow and I have managed to avoid disaster.  Every time it has gone away on it's own.  Today I have all this running around to do but I'm afraid to do go anywhere that straight home.

Chip says that there's no way he can diagnose it if the light is not on.  After today, I'm afraid to drive The Beast.  Please tell me what to do?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 12, 2015, 01:04:06 PM
I know that I'm more trouble than I'm worth....This time it's the breaks on The Beast.

They have gone out on me 3 times now.  It's scary because The Beast is huge and heavy and almost impossible to stop without the power brakes working.  The first time was over 2 years ago.  It happened in a parking lot in Hattiesburg.  Thank God I made him stop.  The ABS light never came on.  It happened again a year or so ago in my drive way.  I was going slow again but I almost hit my horse in the butt.  The ABS light did come on but by the time I got to Chip's place it had gone out.  It happened 3 times just now as I was driving back from mailing letters at the PO around the corner here in Ellisville.  The light never came on.

So far this has only happened when I'm going slow and I have managed to avoid disaster.  Every time it has gone away on it's own.  Today I have all this running around to do but I'm afraid to do go anywhere that straight home.

Chip says that there's no way he can diagnose it if the light is not on.  After today, I'm afraid to drive The Beast.  Please tell me what to do?

....intermittent debris clogging the lines??.... if somehow debris got in the fluid that might do it??...drain and replace??

....this may seem odd but do you hear any wheel bearing noises?....does it happen during  turning most times?.....if so, wheel bearings are shot..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Than you once again, Mugs.  No.  No wheel bearing noise.  I'll have Chip flush out and replace the break fluid and replace it with new stuff.  I sure hope it does the trick.  This is such scary shit. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 12, 2015, 01:26:15 PM
Than you once again, Mugs.  No.  No wheel bearing noise.  I'll have Chip flush out and replace the break fluid and replace it with new stuff.  I sure hope it does the trick.  This is such scary shit.

It may not be the problem....I've read where new fluid caused an issue too...go figure....seals on the break booster or something....where's JR ?...hopefully he'll know something....I'm an amateur wrench guy, he's a pro... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I know...my heart yearns for JR.  I'll drive Charlotte until I talk to Chip Tuesday.  I'll tell him what you suggested and ask his opinion on what to do. I'll try anything.  I don't want to be afraid to drive The Beast. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 12, 2015, 01:36:12 PM
I know...my heart yearns for JR.  I'll drive Charlotte until I talk to Chip Tuesday.  I'll tell him what you suggested and ask his opinion on what to do. I'll try anything.  I don't want to be afraid to drive The Beast.

I just read one site that said "if the brake levels are up, and no abs light"...it has to be the master cylinder....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Thanks again.  I'll have everything replaced that I know might cause the problem.  It happened twice on the way home.  no ABS light either time.  It only happens when I'm going very slowly.  There's surely a clue in that... a break expert would know.  Without a break expert or JR, I'll just have stuff replaced that might be the cause and hope for the best.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 12, 2015, 02:28:39 PM
Thanks again.  I'll have everything replaced that I know might cause the problem.  It happened twice on the way home.  no ABS light either time.  It only happens when I'm going very slowly.  There's surely a clue in that... a break expert would know.  Without a break expert or JR, I'll just have stuff replaced that might be the cause and hope for the best.

Yep, been looking and the most common similar problems have one common denominator...doing it intermittently at slow speeds....then they start throwing parts at it...break booster and booster lines, etc....only one that made any sense said the 'master' and why...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on December 12, 2015, 02:32:55 PM

Yep, been looking and the most common similar problems have one common denominator...doing it intermittently at slow speeds....then they start throwing parts at it...break booster and booster lines, etc....only one that made any sense said the 'master' and why...

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 12, 2015, 02:32:55 PM

I wish I were a mechanic so I could give you some expert advice but I had something like that happen to me (I did not have abs) and my issue was the master cylinder. I agree with Jon about checking those lines for debris.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let me know if I understand correctly...I should have Chip replace the Master cylinder, booster, and booster lines?  Anything else?  Thank you so much for this help.  If the things you suggest don't work I promise that I won't turn into David  on you  ;)

BillT

Are there any symptoms having to do with the break pedal?
Does the pedal go to the floor when things don't work?
Do you have to pump the brakes?
Unusual noises?
Hand break work?

GeorgeG

I do not know what year, make or model your truck is Liz but it sounds like the brake booster is going out or there is not vacuum going to it.

This link will give you some idea how it works

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/power-brake1.htm

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BillT on December 12, 2015, 03:28:29 PM
Are there any symptoms having to do with the break pedal?
Does the pedal go to the floor when things don't work?
Do you have to pump the brakes?
Unusual noises?
Hand break work?

The break peddle is perfect.
No noise at all the first 2 times.  Suddenly the breaks simply did not work!  Today it made a noise and vibration in the pedal when it happened.  At least that let me know that I needed to stomp all my weight on the pedal.
I have no idea about the hand break.  I never use it.  I just stick it in "park".

LizStreithorst

Quote from: GeorgeG on December 12, 2015, 03:32:55 PM
I do not know what year, make or model your truck is Liz but it sounds like the brake booster is going out or there is not vacuum going to it.

This link will give you some idea how it works

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/power-brake1.htm

He's a '99 Ford Diesel 350 Extra length Van.  193,000 mostly Hwy miles.  I'll take a look at your link.  Thank you.