• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 10:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

Ozone Generator

Started by Jdmcfast, February 09, 2013, 09:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

Does anyone use one of these? I've been researching a little bit, very interesting!
Josh

Mugwump

I believe that they're used mainly in 'salt water' tanks.....to help grow the coral,etc...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

U can also use them to remove chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates from your water without stripping all of the minerals out of the water
Josh

Mugwump

They are good for water holding vats......a big plus....or possibly sumps??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EvanJ

Josh.hey if you do get 1 of those ozone generators I would be more than happy to stop by and give you the run down on using it in your water storage tot.

Frank The Plumber

The technology works and it works well. Like any technology though it requires a complete understanding of exactly what it is doing. From my experience it is burning any item that can be burned with oxygen 3, highly reactive oxygen. If we were to look at the possible chemical compounds that result from this burn we might think, " Dude...do I want to inhale any of that stuff?" The answer really ought to be, " No because I think I may want to live to be an old fart." So if we use these units we want to be certain we are all copasiatic with the junk coming out from them. We can capture or vent this stuff and make everything really safe and we can do that fairly easily. It should not hinder someone to use them just because there are a few things we should do to make them really safe. If you use them I see no real reason not to do so. The several units I have installed went into other peoples homes and so I had to do everything Hyper Kosher so I didn't get a call from the litigator. You would like to get rid of the burned gas or run it through a capture system. You want to capture any residual O3 that might escape into the fish system. Not so hard to do using carbons. he marine guys use this a lot in a simple way.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

BillT

Ozone is a very strong and short lived oxidizer. Ozone has several uses: adjusting redox potential, destroying color molecules in the water, partially oxidizing molecules so biological filters can more easily process wastes, and at high doses to sterilize the water. It in high intensity aquaculture systems.

Ozone needs a amount of contact time to have its effect (contact chamber or foam fractionator).
Although it is intrinsically unstable when used at high doses one should be careful of residual ozone bleeding through to the fish and biofilter. UV and charcoal are used to control this because they break down the ozone.
Charcoal is also recommended to remove weird partially oxidized molecules from the water that can have bad effects on the fish.

Jdmcfast

Quote from: EvanJ on February 09, 2013, 11:19:30 AM
Josh.hey if you do get 1 of those ozone generators I would be more than happy to stop by and give you the run down on using it in your water storage tot.
Good to see you here Evan! Its a great group of people make your self at home.
Josh