• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 10:37:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,316
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 239
Total: 239

Nutella Cheesecake

Started by LizStreithorst, December 09, 2015, 03:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I don't made deserts.  I'm not big on sweets.  Once in a blue moon I'll pick up a pint of ice cream or something else frozen, but make a desert myself?  Never have, thought I never would...until I saw this.  I have a couple of questions because I'm ignorant.  What exactly is a springform pan?  Is any round nonstick a springform pan of is it something different?  Is confectioner's sugar the same thing as powdered sugar?  I have never heard of "digestive biscuits", have you?  It might be a British thing.  Graham crackers will work, though. 

http://food52.com/recipes/39622-nigella-lawson-s-no-bake-nutella-cheesecake
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 09, 2015, 03:20:07 PM
I don't made deserts.  I'm not big on sweets.  Once in a blue moon I'll pick up a pint of ice cream or something else frozen, but make a desert myself?  Never have, thought I never would...until I saw this.  I have a couple of questions because I'm ignorant.  What exactly is a springform pan?  Is any round nonstick a springform pan of is it something different?  Is confectioner's sugar the same thing as powdered sugar?  I have never heard of "digestive biscuits", have you?  It might be a British thing.  Graham crackers will work, though. 

The springy pans are the ones that look like they have a belt around them for removing the bottoms...I think?..confection/powdered..yep, same/same...
I had to dble check the digestive biscuit....and yep...it's a cookie....LOL...but not too sweet and has fiber or something in it.....my Mom always used Zwieback toast.....mushed down with a bit of butter and a hint of brown sugar for those type crusts....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 09, 2015, 03:20:07 PM

Liz, I make cheesecake quite often. Pretty easy. A springform pan has band that goes around the bottom. It is easy to open.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1556004/cake-boss-deluxe-9-in-nonstick-springform-cake-pan.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=FOOD%20PREP&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=94558348&CID=shopping15&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=94558348&gclid=CNeImffcz8kCFYcjgQodvqcHXQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPy1pffcz8kCFUwagQodSP0Jkw

Graham crackers are a great crust. Bottom only though. I use a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom and the sides. I cut a square and fold into a triangle. Keep folding until you have a small wedge. Then you put the point in the center of the bottom and cut the other end off. Gives you a circle shape that fits right into the pan bottom. Butter the bottom of the pan. Lay in the parchment. Add the cracker and melted butter mixture and pat down. To really compact it use a fairly heavy flat bottom glass to tamp it down.

I also butter the sides and use a strip of parchment around the sides. That is a bit of a pain even using melted butter to "glue" it.

With cheesecake I wrap the pan in foil on so any leaks are into the foil since a spring pan isn't always truly liquid tight. I go so it's at least 2/3rds up the side

Cheesecake is prone to cracking its top. Doesn't affect the flavor one bit just presentation. Most will cook it in a water bath to help stop it.
I've done it both ways and it's 50-50
After it's almost done I turn off the oven for a time then open the door slightly and let it cool down for about an hour that way. After that onto a cooling rack then into the fridge to finish setting.

Cheesecake is in no way shape or form a cake. It is more a pie. More so a custard. Like flan.

I've never done a no bake though. I do like baking the crust a bit before I fill the pan.

Nigella is pretty damn hot though.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

I'm hoping that I won't have to go through all that since this is no bake.  I'm not sure if I can find a springform pan in Ellisville.  If not, I bet my neighbor has one that I can borrow.

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on December 09, 2015, 03:39:40 PM

Finally , something we agree on.   ;)

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 09, 2015, 04:20:52 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on December 09, 2015, 03:39:40 PM

Finally , something we agree on.   ;)

Dennis
I bet there might be only one thing that we won't agree on Dennis. And that, while a large area is still small relative to everything else in life. Especially FISH! mim
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

I never knew who she was.  I just looked her up.  Yep, she is indeed hot ;)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 10, 2015, 07:26:10 PM
I never knew who she was.  I just looked her up.  Yep, she is indeed hot ;)

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Much better not fat, but the face is great fat or not fat.  Nice boobies, too!

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 10, 2015, 07:39:14 PM
Much better not fat, but the face is great fat or not fat.  Nice boobies, too!
More too love is all. Plus the boobies are bigger on the left. And it's not "fat" but Rubenesque. I'd love to father her child.

BallAquatics

Heavy or thin, she has curves in all the right places.   |^|

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 11, 2015, 07:54:44 AM
Heavy or thin, she has curves in all the right places.   |^|

Dennis

"built for comfort, not for speed"    2c2
Jon

GeorgeG

Liz this is the same way I make mine. In fact I picked up 3lbs of cream cheese today to make it next weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7krVSvx7XBo&index=7&list=PL-MJ2niVMKcjwtg_OcQqdYLFDCJsxMcfn

Basic Cheesecake

Makes 1 (9-inch) cheesecake

Ingredients:

10 to 12 graham crackers, crushed (about 2 cups)
? cup butter, melted
2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
1-1/3 cups sugar
1? teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 eggs
Directions:

Make this a day ahead of when you want to eat it!

Pre-heat the oven to 325˚ F.

Crush the graham crackers into crumbs either by hand or with a food processor, and combine with the melted butter. Press the crumb mixture into the base of a 9-inch springform pan. Refrigerate while you prepare the cheesecake batter.

Using the paddle on your stand mixer with low speed, or the regular beaters on a hand mixer on low speed, blend the cream cheese until it is completely smooth with no lumps.

When all the lumps in the cream cheese have disappeared, add the sugar and vanilla extract. Blend just to incorporate the ingredients and then add the eggs one at a time. Continue to mix until the eggs have been mixed in, but do not over-beat.

Pour the batter into the springform pan with the graham cracker crust. Wrap the bottom of the springform pan in aluminum foil to create a completely waterproof seal. Place the springform pan in a larger baking pan. Fill the larger baking pan with water until it halfway up the sides of the springform pan, creating a water bath.

Bake at 325˚ F for one hour. After one hour, the center of the cheesecake should still jiggle when you tap the pan gently. Turn off the oven, and leave the cheesecake in the closed oven for another hour. Then remove the cake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature on your kitchen counter before refrigerating. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.

LizStreithorst

Sorry George, my heart is set on Nigella's Nutella recipe. Do you think that she's hot?  Do you like her thin or Rubenesque? 

GeorgeG

QuoteDo you think that she's hot?

No!

QuoteDo you like her thin or Rubenesque?

Thin