• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 07:34:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 339
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 331
Total: 332

Vote for Your Favorite Scientific Breakthrough of the Year

Started by BillT, December 03, 2015, 03:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

http://news.sciencemag.org/2015/12/vote-your-scientific-breakthrough-year-winner?utm_campaign=email-news-latest&et_rid=33537079&et_cid=128926

Choices:
CRISPR:   genetic modification made easy
Homo naledi:   new fossil human found in S. Africa
Ebola Vaccine:   recently made
Poor Replication of Psychological Papers:  they should do better
Pluto:   pictures from probe
Paleoindian DNA: Kennewick Man was an American Indian relative
Mantle Plumes:   the driving force of plate tectonics which is the unifying concept of geology
Opiate Pathway in Yeast:   A yeast strain was molecularly assembled (using many different genes) that can make opiates (eliminating the need for poppie cultivation)
Lymphatic System in the Central Nervous System: was not thought to be there, but it was found recently. Important for treating brain problems.
Bell's Theorem: Now considered proven. Physics, concerning entanglement of particles (Einstein hated this idea). A change in one particle can instantaneously affect another particle regardless of distance (faster then the speed of light).

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on December 03, 2015, 03:02:46 PM
http://news.sciencemag.org/2015/12/vote-your-scientific-breakthrough-year-winner?utm_campaign=email-news-latest&et_rid=33537079&et_cid=128926

Choices:
CRISPR:   genetic modification made easy
Homo naledi:   new fossil human found in S. Africa
Ebola Vaccine:   recently made
Poor Replication of Psychological Papers:  they should do better
Pluto:   pictures from probe
Paleoindian DNA: Kennewick Man was an American Indian relative
Mantle Plumes:   the driving force of plate tectonics which is the unifying concept of geology
Opiate Pathway in Yeast:   A yeast strain was molecularly assembled (using many different genes) that can make opiates (eliminating the need for poppie cultivation)
Lymphatic System in the Central Nervous System: was not thought to be there, but it was found recently. Important for treating brain problems.
Bell's Theorem: Now considered proven. Physics, concerning entanglement of particles (Einstein hated this idea). A change in one particle can instantaneously affect another particle regardless of distance (faster then the speed of light).

I'm thinking that they all merit kudos.....if I had to pick one tho....I'd go with the "Lymphatic System in the Central Nervous System"  this has real promise...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

My top three are:
1) CRISPR
2) Bell's Theorem
3) Mantle Plumes

Bell's theorem has to do with entanglement and therefor with quantum computing.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on December 04, 2015, 01:00:19 AM
My top three are:
1) CRISPR
2) Bell's Theorem
3) Mantle Plumes

Bell's theorem has to do with entanglement and therefor with quantum computing.

I have to agree with CRISPR...this has great possibilities, if not abused...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wiggs

I vote for  Bell`s Theorem, it would be really cool to go to other planets and back that fast. beam me up Scottie! lol
Jan

BillT

Pluto won the popular election.
CRISPR won from the editor's point of view.

Mugwump

Jon

BillT

BallAquatics

Mugwump

Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: wiggs on December 04, 2015, 07:29:16 AM
I vote for  Bell`s Theorem, it would be really cool to go to other planets and back that fast. beam me up Scottie! lol

They just found an Earth like planet only 14 light years away. It sounds possible in the not so distant future.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/wolf-1061c-astronomers-spot-nearest-planets-capable-of-supporting-life-ever-seen-a6776621.html
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.