• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 06:47:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Side door won't open

Started by LizStreithorst, November 25, 2015, 02:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

This has never happened before.  The last few times I've closed this door it was kind of hard to close but it die close.  This morning as I was leaving for work it would not open.  I took the inside nob with the screws off but the nob would not come out on the outside.  I googled around and this appears to be major door nob surgery.  I think it's a job for Mr. Sharp, my carpenter and Charlotte's former owner.  I planed to call him after Thanksgiving to come and fix my falling down fence, anyway.  This will make me call him sooner. rather than later.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 25, 2015, 02:34:17 PM
This has never happened before.  The last few times I've closed this door it was kind of hard to close but it die close.  This morning as I was leaving for work it would not open.  I took the inside nob with the screws off but the nob would not come out on the outside.  I googled around and this appears to be major door nob surgery.  I think it's a job for Mr. Sharp, my carpenter and Charlotte's former owner.  I planed to call him after Thanksgiving to come and fix my falling down fence, anyway.  This will make me call him sooner. rather than later.

....check the screws on the door hinge, and tighten them up ...lots times they'll loosen up from use....also, the jamb plate may have worked loose and slid out of position.....easy fix..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The problem is that the door is stuck shut.  I can't get to any of that stuff.  If it were stuck open I'd have more options.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 25, 2015, 03:07:12 PM
The problem is that the door is stuck shut.  I can't get to any of that stuff.  If it were stuck open I'd have more options.

Slide a metal nail file, or other thin flat piece in there to open it....or drive the hinge pins our and open it that way.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't think I can open it the first way.  I can try it the second way but I have a lot on my to do list tomorrow.  It may have to wait until the week end.  I won't risk unless it's warm out.  It'll be warm tomorrow not sure about Sunday and Monday.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 25, 2015, 03:21:29 PM
I don't think I can open it the first way.  I can try it the second way but I have a lot on my to do list tomorrow.  It may have to wait until the week end.  I won't risk unless it's warm out.  It'll be warm tomorrow not sure about Sunday and Monday.

..or just wait til the carpenter comes by.....
Jon

Mugwump

I was going to suggest just pulling the two screws out of the handle and use a screw drive to just pull the bolt open...but not sure that you're comfortable doing that.... huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

screws are out.  Inside nob is off.  The bolt goes through the plate and is inside the hole in the door frame.  No way I can pry it because I can't get to it.  I may do the hinge thing Sunday or Monday if the weather is warm.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 25, 2015, 04:29:14 PM
screws are out.  Inside nob is off.  The bolt goes through the plate and is inside the hole in the door frame.  No way I can pry it because I can't get to it.  I may do the hinge thing Sunday or Monday if the weather is warm.

...should be a hole in the latch bar...stick a screw driver in it and slide it open...push on door to relieve pressure
Jon

LizStreithorst

I slid the locking bar to one side with the screw driver but I didn't see a hole in the bolt.  I just got a bunch of tomorrows stuff done this evening...sponge squeezing and wipe downs and HUGE WC.  I'll study the door tomorrow perhaps I'll have tomorrow to get to it.  I'm think that if I take the door off it's hinges the angle will be too great for me to be able to slip the bold out of the hole.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 25, 2015, 06:55:35 PM
I slid the locking bar to one side with the screw driver but I didn't see a hole in the bolt.  I just got a bunch of tomorrows stuff done this evening...sponge squeezing and wipe downs and HUGE WC.  I'll study the door tomorrow perhaps I'll have tomorrow to get to it.  I'm think that if I take the door off it's hinges the angle will be too great for me to be able to slip the bold out of the hole.

...the hole is usually in the mechanism piece..??......as you look down the edge of the door along the hinges...do you see and gaps wider than the others....top/bottom....if not....leave it for the carpenter.....if so, you'll know if a top/bottom hinge is pulled away...close the gap...door should open..
Jon

BillT

Maybe you guys should skype each other with a cell phone to view the door.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on November 25, 2015, 07:20:44 PM
Maybe you guys should skype each other with a cell phone to view the door.

I'm not set up for it....I doubt Liz is either..??...
Jon

LizStreithorst

No I'm not.  I'll study on it tomorrow.  If I can't figure it out when the light is better I'll wait for the carpenter.  It's not like I have to climb in and out of windows.  The hinge side is perfect.

LizStreithorst

Gentlemen, I fixed my door.  I'm feeling rather proud of myself.