• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 09:51:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,313
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 275
Total: 277

HOT Mag's

Started by Mugwump, November 24, 2015, 08:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon Miller‎
to
Marineland
November 20 at 6:34pm ?

Any chance the HOT mags 250 make a comeback...I see you've discontinued them.....why?
Comments
Marineland
Marineland Hi, Jon. All I can say at this time is keep watching our Facebook page in January?
Like ? Reply ? 1 hr
Jon Miller
Jon Miller That's encouraging....thanks for the reply..
Like ? Reply ? Just now
Jon Miller
Write a reply...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I heard back form them and forgot to post until now.  This is what I wrote them:
I was devastated when I found out that you discontinued the Magnum 250's. I and others depend on these. I have 10 working 24/7 in my fish room. I found some commercial ones in a plain brown box on ebay that had a GFI on the power cord and bought 4 because I don't want to be stuck without Magnum 250's in reserve. Why did you decide to discontinue them when so many people depend on them almost as much as I do? Liz

This is what the lady replied:
Good Morning Liz,
Thanks for your inquiry. I could not say why the Magnum 250 filter was discontinued, though I know the announcement did disappoint a lot of people. Of course we have several other filtration options, be they canister filters, or the Penguin or Emperor Bio-Wheel filters. It looks like our product team is developing a replacement for the H.O.T. magnum filter, but unfortunately, we don?t have any information about the anticipated release date. If you have additional questions, feel free to reply to this email, or to call us at 1-800-526-0650. We are available M-F 8:00am ? 5:30pm EST. Thanks for your time. Have a wonderful day!

I guess that Mug is correct.  They are working on something that we don't like as much and costs us more.  I'm glad I bought those 4 commercial ones.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Well at least both replies were similar..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 28, 2015, 03:00:16 PM
or the Penguin or Emperor Bio-Wheel filters.

Penguin or Emperor Bio-Wheel filters? Are they serious. I have to sift through my email to find out my response.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

big b

Just curious, What is so special about these hot magnums?

LizStreithorst

They keep the water crystal clear.  The only thing better at mechanical filtration are diatom filters.

big b

ghonk

I had a magnum 350,a gift   from a sales rep when i worked at a shop.
It worked great but was a giant PITA to clean,and also the chance of leaking,had to buy a new gasket for mine at some point.

Other then the micro cartridge i see no advantage in them,and would never buy any type on canister  filter.

LizStreithorst

Everyone says the 350's are a huge pain.

sschind

Hope you don't mind a plug Jon.  Bruce at Broad street pets in lake Geneva has 1 hot magnum in stock and says he can get more.

Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on November 28, 2015, 07:52:35 PM
Hope you don't mind a plug Jon.  Bruce at Broad street pets in lake Geneva has 1 hot magnum in stock and says he can get more.

....that's good to know..thanks Steve....but I'd be leery of his saying that he can get more....even Ebay/Amazon/etc are out...
Jon

wsantia1

This is the dumb reply they sent me:

Willie,

Thank you for your email and we are extremely sorry to hear this. However, I am in the same boat, as I have a HOT Magnum on my 20 gallon cichlid tank here at the office. Replacement parts are available for the unit.

Thank you,

huh What kind of response is that? Are they f&%$*#g kidding me? I did ask about the replacement parts because they took the page down. I see it is back up .  huh huh huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 01, 2015, 11:07:38 AM
This is the dumb reply they sent me:

Willie,

Thank you for your email and we are extremely sorry to hear this. However, I am in the same boat, as I have a HOT Magnum on my 20 gallon cichlid tank here at the office. Replacement parts are available for the unit.

Thank you,

huh What kind of response is that? Are they f&%$*#g kidding me? I did ask about the replacement parts because they took the page down. I see it is back up .  huh huh huh

LOLOLOL......a sympathy letter rely.....
Jon

big b

If someone had a hot magnum and they were a mechanic or something and could take something apart and put it back together again. Couldn't that person just replicate the filter?

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on December 01, 2015, 04:08:16 PM
If someone had a hot magnum and they were a mechanic or something and could take something apart and put it back together again. Couldn't that person just replicate the filter?

The plastic shell/housing is molded/formed.....so not likely....even if they could, the misc pieces would be a nightmare to duplicate....

https://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/hotmag_manual.pdf
Jon